Does Royal use MSG in the food?

My guess is it will vary by location and dish.  The sit down restaurants are all going to ask if there are any dietary restrictions (allergies, Etc) at the beginning of each meal.  That would be the time to discuss the use of MSG.  The servers can assist with some questions but expect that a chef will visit the table to help guide you to acceptable options.  

In the Windjammer you will have to mention it to the staff and a chef will guide you through the stations to review acceptable choices.  The menus/offerings do change so even though some standard foods will be there, new items will need to be reviewed for MSG.

I would bet that most, if not all, cruise ships don't use MSG. I say this because most of the food isn't seasoned that well and with MSG you don't have to salt your food. Plus, a lot of the food is cooked daily from rather fresh ingredients, hence why certain items may taste off one day or exceptional another. I also agree it is better to ask the dining staff and inform them beforehand just in case.