Emergency phone number

Hi all:

I am getting ready for my first cruise in 12 days or so.  If there is an emergency at home and they need to leave me a message or get ahold of me, what is the best way to go about it.  I am not buying any phone/internet package.  The one thing I found is they can call a number but it is like 7.95/minute.  Which I guess if a true emergency it's not a huge deal but is there is another option I haven't seen?? 

One thing to maybe think about is if there is an emergency at home, do you want to know about it, because are you going to be able to do anything about it?

A few years ago we were going on a cruise, and my grandma was scheduled to go into hospice care around the same time. My mom asked me if grandma were to pass while we were on the ship, did I want her to let me know? After thinking about it, I said no, because there would be nothing I could do, and it would put a damper on the rest of the vacation. And knowing about it wouldn't make her less dead.

Same goes for our pets. We trust the people who take care of our pets to make whatever decisions they deem necessary should an emergency happen.

As to your question, if it is something that doesn't require something from you right that very instant, they can text you or call and leave a message and the next port you are in, you should be able to read and respond to it or listen to your voicemail.