Transfer from Tarragona to Barcelona Airport

We´ve just booked a cruise from Athens in September 2022 which will end in Tarragona. Nearest Airport will be Barcelona. 

Does anyone have experiences with Tarragona as end harbour? Does RC offers a transfer to Barcelona Airport after the arrival? Or is there an official bus link?

Any other transfer options you would recommend? 

Many thanks for your help in advance! 

• 2 months later...

Hi Ivonne, cannot answer your query, but I am looking for the same answer and it appears we may be on the same cruise... Athens (28/09) to Barcelona (07/09) unless you are on an earlier in September one.  I would be very interested if you have an answer to this question.  Trying to find a way to the Airport for a 10am flight to UK (thought ship docked in Barcelona!), many thanks Sharon

4 hours ago, SharonR said:

Hi Ivonne, cannot answer your query, but I am looking for the same answer and it appears we may be on the same cruise... Athens (28/09) to Barcelona (07/09) unless you are on an earlier in September one.  I would be very interested if you have an answer to this question.  Trying to find a way to the Airport for a 10am flight to UK (thought ship docked in Barcelona!), many thanks Sharon

Welcome to the boards!

A 10a flight is going to be very difficult. Fastest would be a taxi, since they will be waiting as you debark. You're looking at about an hour travel time and $150-$175USD.

There is a shuttle service (use Rome2Rio.com to see it) but I would be way too nervous that it wouldn't leave in a timely manner, personally.

Good luck!

We are that exact cruise that ends at Tarragona - we got a transfer from Royal Caribbean to get us to the airport after the cruise.

Our travel agent who got our flights through Royal also added the transfers to the airport after our cruise. When we booked our flights through Royal, it will ask you if you want transfers too. I don't believe it was that expensive either. 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:34 PM, SharonR said:

I happened to have spent 3 weeks or so in Tarragona earlier this year and went up to Barcelona numerous times via car and train. 

This is pretty tight.   Its about 1hr - 1hr 20 drive just plain distance,  thats perfect conditions,  often the road can be very congested - in the mornings especially.   I also have flown out of Barcelona airport a number of times,  its huge across multiple terminals so you need to factor just walking time inside them as well.   The "cheap" airlines like Ryanair , EasyJet etc are sticklers for check in on time as well,  they shut it the minute its supposed to be shut even with people in the queue.   You need to drop you bags for Ryanair for example 40mins before the flight at the latest - so your really aiming to be at the airport about 9 as it will take you 5-10mins to find and walk to the counter. 

I guess im saying,  if you get off the ship as early as possible with no delays with bags etc and  have someone waiting you find fast , who drives fast and there is no holdups on the road or in the airport itself then its probably possible,  but it will be tight and stressful depending on how early you get off and impossible if you get off say later than 8..   

If you drop the 10am flight bit,  there are lots of options,  train is also not a bad one - it goes from Tarragona station which is on the waterfront into Barcelona central and then you get the subway right into the airport from there.  

19 hours ago, Meridian said:

I happened to have spent 3 weeks or so in Tarragona earlier this year and went up to Barcelona numerous times via car and train. 

This is pretty tight.   Its about 1hr - 1hr 20 drive just plain distance,  thats perfect conditions,  often the road can be very congested - in the mornings especially.   I also have flown out of Barcelona airport a number of times,  its huge across multiple terminals so you need to factor just walking time inside them as well.   The "cheap" airlines like Ryanair , EasyJet etc are sticklers for check in on time as well,  they shut it the minute its supposed to be shut even with people in the queue.   You need to drop you bags for Ryanair for example 40mins before the flight at the latest - so your really aiming to be at the airport about 9 as it will take you 5-10mins to find and walk to the counter. 

I guess im saying,  if you get off the ship as early as possible with no delays with bags etc and  have someone waiting you find fast , who drives fast and there is no holdups on the road or in the airport itself then its probably possible,  but it will be tight and stressful depending on how early you get off and impossible if you get off say later than 8..   

If you drop the 10am flight bit,  there are lots of options,  train is also not a bad one - it goes from Tarragona station which is on the waterfront into Barcelona central and then you get the subway right into the airport from there.  

Thank you for this response and the depth of info you have provided, very much appreciated.  I think we are up against it for sure and it could be disastrous if it goes wrong or should I say 'costly'.  My fault, when we booked cruise I just saw final port as 'Barcelona' and never thought it would be nearly 100km away 😞 and then went and booked flights with BA ourselves... we are living in hope that we receive notification that BA are cancelling our flight and then they can offer us a later flight (they have already cancelled our outbound one, so I live in hope).  Anyway, many thanks again for your time and response, take care Sharon 

On 8/10/2022 at 2:08 PM, Smithville Cruises said:

We are that exact cruise that ends at Tarragona - we got a transfer from Royal Caribbean to get us to the airport after the cruise.

Our travel agent who got our flights through Royal also added the transfers to the airport after our cruise. When we booked our flights through Royal, it will ask you if you want transfers too. I don't believe it was that expensive either. 

Many thanks for your further response, unfortunately we booked the cruise independently ourselves and then booked the flights separately... living in hope that BA cancel flights due to their currently difficulties and then offer a later one, they have already done this with our outbound flight!  thank you again 🙂 

8 hours ago, SharonR said:

Many thanks for your further response, unfortunately we booked the cruise independently ourselves and then booked the flights separately... living in hope that BA cancel flights due to their currently difficulties and then offer a later one, they have already done this with our outbound flight!  thank you again 🙂 

Should you ever look to book another cruise and get airfare you might want to see what Royals Air2 sea earliest flight is  and if you book independently be guided by that time frame.

14 hours ago, SharonR said:

I think if you call Royal you can get booked on their transfer even if you didn’t book a fight with Air2Sea. But I’m not sure if it would leave early enough to even give you a chance at your flight. 

55 minutes ago, berkeleykel said:

I think if you call Royal you can get booked on their transfer even if you didn’t book a fight with Air2Sea. But I’m not sure if it would leave early enough to even give you a chance at your flight. 

Thank you but tried that... 12 noon is the earliest flight they accommodate, lesson learnt but thanks  

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Should you ever look to book another cruise and get airfare you might want to see what Royals Air2 sea earliest flight is  and if you book independently be guided by that time frame.

Certainly will, all would have been fine if it actually was Barcelona Port as first thought, then started to see Barcelona Tarragona in the comms, but hey I should have been more thorough, lesson learnt 🙂 thanks