Name and other change after final payment

I have a friend who is not active on this blog who asked a question I couldn’t confidently answer. Royal customer service was also not clear. I’m in part to blame for struggling to property articulate the issue so I thought I would try here.

My friend has his family booked on a sailing this summer. His teenage child is going through some “stuff” Their concern is that their child’s name and sex/gender (not sure what is politically correct these days) may change before their sailing.

They have made final payment and booked direct with Royal Caribbean. They are aware that their child’s passport must match the name and gender/sex of traveler as well as the time delay to receive a new passport if changes are made/occur. Currently, the situation was described to me as “fluid”.

Is anyone aware of limitations or deadlines for this situation with Royal Caribbean?

Although I cannot provide exact answers other than the documents must match, etc., I can certainly offer advice from my personal experience.

We have a distant family member who cruised recently.  He was a she.  Booked as a she and in the interim underwent change.  Looked the same on the outside and hormone treatments were in early stages.  I explained to him that the technology, medicine, and internet may advance rapidly, but the world has developed based upon set system(s) and that he could not expect an overnight change from the world even if he did.  Boarded with former (but current) passport with matching names and gender, etc.  He was prepared to be called "Ms." or whatever. Had a great time according to his family.  

If there is still time, get the info changed, but be aware that the "system" may not move as fast as the perceptions of our current reality.  I am not unsympathetic, but I am realistic.  Hope that your friend and his family can get on board and enjoy their cruise.