Strange Gangway on Vision

We sailed on Vision OS from Ft. Lauderdale in March '22. The boarding gangway was only one section long and went at a very steep angle from the terminal directly to the boarding deck. My wife was waiting on knee surgery and the gangway was very steep. We asked if there was another way onto the ship for those that could not climb up the gangway. We were told that was the only way for us to board the ship. My wife used both hands to pull herself slowly up the gangway and I assisted her as I could as I also had all of our carry-on packs.  There was a gentleman in front of us on a 4 wheeled scooter. He had to get off his scooter and push it up the gangway by himself. I could not get to him to assist him. I found this whole situation very strange for RC from a guest services standpoint. We found the normal gangway in place including multiple switchbacks upon our return to the terminal after a great 10 night cruise. We had no problem leaving the ship since the proper gangway was in place.  Note: We found the hot tubs in the Solarium on Vision to be very small. The capacity was 4-5 persons max. We had previously sailed on other Vision class ships and we did not remember the hot tubs being so small. We still had a great cruise and met some wonderful fellow cruisers. The whole crew was so happy to have all of us back on board. They all did an excellent job taking care of us. 

Smooth Sailing Everyone

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

In Fort Lauderdale and most US home ports the gangways are attached to the terminal, not the ship.  You might want to talk with Port Everglades.  

They can't lower the ship, it's floating in water, so if the the port has an issue with a gangway, the port needs to deal with it.  

True.  But, it doesn't excuse Royal (or the port) not providing assistance for the ADA/elderly folks.  Seems things have changed a lot since I retired from Port Everglades.

BTW, there are ADA laws/regulations as to how steep ramps can be.  If it was out of legal requirements, law suites could be flying, especially if someone was/is hurt.  

8 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

True.  But, it doesn't excuse Royal (or the port) not providing assistance for the ADA/elderly folks.  Seems things have changed a lot since I retired from Port Everglades.

Very few Royal employees are on hand in the terminal as you know if you worked there.  The port and Intercruises need to understand they have shortcoming to address.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Very few Royal employees are on hand in the terminal as you know if you worked there.  

There are supervisors monitoring all aspects of Terminal operations.  They have radios!  It just takes one call/communication to either the ship's crew or a port supervisor.  

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

The port and Intercruises need to understand they have shortcoming to address.  

That's for sure!