On board Credit for Drink Package Oasis of the Seas?

Abryant

Hello All,

I'm a first time RC cruiser, when I booked our cruise last January (2016) I was told we could use our $200 on board credit towards the drink packages for our Oasis of the Seas cruise. After paying for the cruise and speaking with customer service, they told me they can't apply it but I can buy the drink package once I board the ship with my credits? Has anyone else ever dealt with this?

I was also told by my booking agent that I could purchase liquor at the duty free shop and immediately take it back to my cabin, and the posts on this blog seem to argue otherwise.

So I'm quite confused what on earth is right because I feel like the booking agents tell you one thing then the customer service agents say the opposite. Can a recent cruiser clarify any of this for me?

Thanks in advance! 

Yes, once on board you can use your on board credit towards the purchase of a drink package, I have done this before a couple of times.

No, you cannot bring any liquor purchased at the duty free shop on bard to your cabin. Security will bag it and hold until your last cruise day and it will be delivered to your room. You can, however, carry on two 750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom and carry those to your stateroom. I've done this before.

Hope this helps.

I'd consider using your OBC for other things (gratuities, specialty dining, etc) if you'll be spending at least $200 on board anyway.  Reason being the beverage package is roughly $10 more per day when you purchase onboard.  This means if that OBC would be used anyway, you'd spend more money (usually, prices vary by sailing) by buying the beverage package onboard.  The same goes for Voom.

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/01/17/how-get-get-discount-royal-caribbean-drink-package