Please explain what automatic gratuities

Kim

Thank you as well.

Please explain this to me if you would.  What is the pre-pay all gratuities mean?  I have paid in full for my cruise; did gratuity get added on?  I believe we have the My Time Dining but the agent said we could call back and change that if we wanted to.  I'm still currently undecided on how to handle the dining.  We are on the Enchantment by the Seas leaving Miami for 4 nights in March.

I could use some clarification on the 2nd item below as well.  Do we need to make reservations to dine if we have the My Time Dining?  How do we make the reservations?  Are they made in advance (like now)?  There will only be 2 of us.  I would also like to try the Chops Restaurant I've read about.  How do I go about that and is that an extra charge?

How to opt-in for My Time Dining

Booking My Time Dining is simple, you can select it as your dining option when making your cruise reservation or at any time prior to your cruise by contacting Royal Caribbean or your travel agent.

To use this option, you must pre-pay all gratuities in advance.

Booking dining reservations

It is recommended that you make reservations in advance of your sailing if you prefer to dine at the most popular times, between 6:30pm and 8pm.

You can make reservations onboard your ship, although there will be less reservations available by that time and typically the crew members will try to steer you to keeping the same time each night.

When you pre-pay your gratuities, you are essentially paying for the gratuities that would otherwise be charged to your account automatically on each evening of the cruise. These gratuities go to your dining room wait staff (head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter) and stateroom attendant.

Some people prefer to pay it up front, while others are okay with it being automatically charged to their account each night of the cruise. 

Note that you will be charged an aromatic gratuity for drink and spa purchases, too, that are added to the bill and not covered by the regular gratuity charge. If you buy a drin package, then the gratuity is charged at the time of purchase. If not, then it's charged with each drink purchase. In either case, there will be a line to add additional gratuity if desired.

Where it gets complicated, at least for me, is with specialty dining. They indicate that a small portion of the fee goes to the waiter, but it's not clear how much and/or if this truly represents a gratuity.

Where it gets complicated, at least for me, is with specialty dining. They indicate that a small portion of the fee goes to the waiter, but it's not clear how much and/or if this truly represents a gratuity.

I just treat it as if I was eating at a land-based restaurant and tip accordingly.  If they get a buck or two extra out of me that way, so be it.  They've usually earned it.