Has Anyone Gone on the Tulum Ruins and Mayan Cenote Tour?

trickynikki93

Hey Everyone!

I am going on a cruise in April 2022 (fingers crossed), and we are heading to Cozumel. There are TONS of excursions...but the one that stuck out to me is the: Tulum Ruins and Mayan Cenote!

Has anyone gone on this excursion before? If so, can you answer a few questions:

1) how was the ferry ride?

2) was there any snacks or food provided? Or are there food stands at the cenotes?

3) were there bathrooms on the ferry and coach bus? I have colitis and need to make sure there are bathrooms

4) was the excursion worth it? Did you feel rushed?

Thanks so much! For those that have done the excursion...do you still recommend it or do you think I should do something different?

On 1/3/2022 at 8:38 AM, trickynikki93 said:

Has anyone gone on this excursion before? If so, can you answer a few questions:

1) how was the ferry ride?

It was windy and the waves were rough when we were on the ferry in Cozumel, so the ride was VERY rocky.  I was on the upper deck on the way to the mainland and I came very close to throwing up, especially when I saw the others doing so. On the way back to Cozumel, the waves were rougher. I stayed on the lower deck.  It was less rocky.  As an aside, it was the first time that I have been rained on on a cruise excursion.  If there is rain in the forecast, I suggest you bring a poncho.

2) was there any snacks or food provided?

A bagged lunch - a sandwich and small bag of chips - was provided on the way to the Tulum ruins.  Our guide took us to a store that gave away bottled water.

... Or are there food stands at the cenotes?

IIRC, there were food stands by the entrance to the çenote

3) were there bathrooms on the ferry and coach bus? I have colitis and need to make sure there are bathrooms

Yes, there were bathrooms on the ferry.  As for the tour bus, we were told to use the restrooms before boarding the bus.  I don't remember seeing a bathroom on it.

4) was the excursion worth it?

The excursion's worth is subjective.  For me it was because I'm fascinated with Mayan culture.   I don't like water activities but the people on the tour with me looked like they had a good time at the cenote.  I ended up being the videographer for their plunges into the çenote.

Did you feel rushed?

Again, the answer to this is subjective.  Personally, I did not feel rushed; maybe because I have a short attention span.  The guide always reminded us to come back on time after the free time we were allowed to explore.  People who want to take tons of pictures may feel rushed. (Not me... one selfie and I'm done)

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, burnscrew3 said:

I’ve booked the same excursion on an April sailing.  I would also like to ask how long the excursion lasted.  The site says 9 hrs which is almost every minute the ship is in port.  Is there any extra time for souvenir shopping or exploring? 

We went to Tulum on a Royal Caribbean excursion in 2019.  There were souvenir shops in the parking area at Tulum itself.  

The guided tour part ended at the big ruins that gets all the publicity and we were given a time to be back at the bus (as I recall we had 30-40 minutes to explore on our own). We got to the parking area in time to wander around the shops for a bit.