Apple Watch with cellular

marirag

Don’t worry about the watch. Disable cellular on it (and your iPhone) once you get on board. The watch’s default behavior is to tether to the phone. There’s no way to utilize the on-board WiFi on the watch since it’s behind a captive portal. When out of range from your phone, the watch will just be a watch with all info from the last time it saw the phone. When it gets back in range, you may get a minor flood of notifications. 

14 hours ago, MattG said:

Don’t worry about the watch. Disable cellular on it (and your iPhone) once you get on board. The watch’s default behavior is to tether to the phone. There’s no way to utilize the on-board WiFi on the watch since it’s behind a captive portal. When out of range from your phone, the watch will just be a watch with all info from the last time it saw the phone. When it gets back in range, you may get a minor flood of notifications. 

I'm thinking of trying a hack on my voyage in a week - before boarding, use your phone to get your watch's WiFi address from General/About - should be 12 hex characters.  Get the same thing from your laptop.  Write these down.  Turn off wifi on your laptop, watch, and phone before boarding.  Once aboard, set your laptop's WiFi address to be the same as what you wrote down for the Apple Watch, then use laptop to log into the service on the boat and get past the captive portal.  Turn off your laptop's WiFi.  Turn on your watch's WiFi, and if this hack works, it will be able to access the usual internet-related services.  If you need to use your laptop, turn off the WiFi on your Apple Watch first, then turn on the WiFi on the laptop.  As long as only one of them is on at a time, this might work.  All of this is only necessary because the Apple Watch does not provide a way to get past the login screen - it really ought to be something Royal adds to their App, so you could for example use texting from your watch while on CocoCay without having to lug your phone around.

Note that you need a laptop that is capable of setting any desired WiFi address.  On the Mac you go to Terminal then sudo ifconfig en0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Note that rebooting the Mac resets the WiFi (MAC) address back to the HW defaults.

1 hour ago, Gary Watson said:

I'm thinking of trying a hack on my voyage in a week - before boarding, use your phone to get your watch's WiFi address from General/About - should be 12 hex characters.  Get the same thing from your laptop.  Write these down.  Turn off wifi on your laptop, watch, and phone before boarding.  Once aboard, set your laptop's WiFi address to be the same as what you wrote down for the Apple Watch, then use laptop to log into the service on the boat and get past the captive portal.  Turn off your laptop's WiFi.  Turn on your watch's WiFi, and if this hack works, it will be able to access the usual internet-related services.  If you need to use your laptop, turn off the WiFi on your Apple Watch first, then turn on the WiFi on the laptop.  As long as only one of them is on at a time, this might work.  All of this is only necessary because the Apple Watch does not provide a way to get past the login screen - it really ought to be something Royal adds to their App, so you could for example use texting from your watch while on CocoCay without having to lug your phone around.

Note that you need a laptop that is capable of setting any desired WiFi address.  On the Mac you go to Terminal then sudo ifconfig en0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Note that rebooting the Mac resets the WiFi (MAC) address back to the HW defaults.

A fellow nerd emerges 🙂

I'd love to know if this works. My concern is how much the watch prioritizes its comms to the phone and ignores inputs from other interfaces unless the phone is disconnected. The WiFi on the ship is also very spotty, not nearly reliable enough to trust for Siri when it comes to non-local commands/transcription. As much as it sucks to lug your phone around sometimes, keeping the phone as the "WiFi-enabled device" and then peering the watch from the phone worked perfect for me. For things like the pool or hot tub, I left my phone in a draw-string bag on a nearby chair, and the watch never lost connection. The only times I was truly out of range is in the ocean at Coco Cay, or if I ran to the bar for a drink. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone just put a browser on their watch so that they can log in to the Zoom internet? I found one called micro browser that works without the phone. I don't see why you couldn't use that to sign in to the wifi. 

All that said it would be extremely useful to the small minority of Apple Watch users if the RC app had a watchOS version. 

19 minutes ago, eflick said:

Has anyone just put a browser on their watch so that they can log in to the Zoom internet? I found one called micro browser that works without the phone. I don't see why you couldn't use that to sign in to the wifi. 

All that said it would be extremely useful to the small minority of Apple Watch users if the RC app had a watchOS version. 

It's possible, but it would require the person to go to "captive.apple.com" and provide alphanumeric input on the watch screen. It would be very interesting to try, but not a viable use case in the long run. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2021 at 1:51 PM, Gary Watson said:

I'm thinking of trying a hack on my voyage in a week...

@Gary Watson I was thinking of trying this exact same thing. Did it work? I've done this at e.g. hotels for connecting an old Roku to the wifi and had success.

My other main questions would be 1) how often does captive make you re-login, 2) does the watch reliably stay connected to the wifi when it's not connected to the phone, 3) how quickly does the watch battery drain in this case?

Also, my understanding is that you can pretty seamlessly switch between devices on the wifi, it just kicks the previous device off. So I imagine you can pretty easily switch between phone and watch in that way, right? Maybe you have to re-login via laptop to switch from phone -> watch though?