Cancelling 1 Person in Cabin

I have another question I hope you all can help me with...

My husband Frank herniated a disk yesterday and can barely move or walk, the pain radiating sharply down his left leg. He is a strong guy who plans to be able to go on our cruise in 11 days but the Dr isn't too hopeful, especially since we plan to drive down I-95 to the cruise port in Bayonne, NJ from our home in MA, a 4 hr drive with lots of bumpy roads.

This cruise is a gift from Frank & I to my nephew who is on his was to Parris Island for boot camp as soon as we get back. If Frank can't go :(  I will still go with my nephew and was wondering if we could change Frank's reservation to someone else? We do have trip insurance so I'm not worried about lost money, just wondering if someone else could go in Frank's place. If so, how close to the cruise can we do this?  If not, do I just let them know Frank won't be there when we check in or do I have to let them know ahead of time? 

I'm hoping he is running around the house tomorrow, or at least by this time next week, but want to be prepared (and realistic).

Thanks!

According to Royal Caribbean, you can make a change as long as it is 24 hours prior to sailing and at least one of the original names stays on the booking.  I'd double or triple that just to be safe, though.  See the link below.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=245&faqSubjectId=329

Get him in to see a chiropractor! Hope he fees better soon and can enjoy the trip

Thanks Christie, I do too! I mentioned the chiropractor but due to a bad truck accident with multiple broken bones last year he spent 6 months going to the chiropractor 3x a week and really doesn't want to go back. I don't think I could talk him into it.  

In general, it is always easier to take someone off a reservation or replace someone than it is trying to add someone.

If you aren't sure who exactly will sail with you when making a reservation, just put down any name as a placeholder.  Financially, it will be to your advantage to change the name later on than trying to add them on.

I think the cruising Gods just don't want my husband to go on the cruise!

The good news is that his back is much better and he is starting to walk without the walking stick. The bad news is the engine just died in our Peterbilt 357 Tri-Axle Dump Truck (injector fail+bent push rods+jumping lifters=rebuild) and that truck is needed back on the road asap. The garages are all backed up so Frank will change the engine himself...we were able to find a new rebuild, he can do the work just not while on a cruise, and doing it himself will take longer. We just made the "painful" decision for Frank to stay home to get the truck back on the road  :(

My other 18 yr nephew (they are twins) will now be coming with us. He was going to go with us next year because of Navy boot camp but his was postponed, while his brother's Marine boot camp was moved up, so now he can make it. Frank & I will have to find another cruise in the near future to go on together.

It is the right thing to do but I'm so bummed out...

I'm sitting here starting to freak out a bit that our plans have changed. I've been to Cape Liberty and Bermuda twice and have traveled by myself extensively (pulling a 30' camper with 7 dogs on the dog show circuit, lol) so I'm not afraid to travel by myself, I think it is the thought of going on a cruise with two 18yr old boys who have never been on a vacation before  :o and that my best friend won't be with me.

I don't expect the boys to misbehave because they are the most polite guys you would ever meet and have been in ROTC for the last few years. I just don't expect them to want to spend much time on the ship with their Aunt, hahaha! Hey, I guess I'll have lots of time by myself for pictures and Periscopes  :)

I think the cruising Gods just don't want my husband to go on the cruise!

The good news is that his back is much better and he is starting to walk without the walking stick. The bad news is the engine just died in our Peterbilt 357 Tri-Axle Dump Truck (injector fail+bent push rods+jumping lifters=rebuild) and that truck is needed back on the road asap. The garages are all backed up so Frank will change the engine himself...we were able to find a new rebuild, he can do the work just not while on a cruise, and doing it himself will take longer. We just made the "painful" decision for Frank to stay home to get the truck back on the road  :(

My other 18 yr nephew (they are twins) will now be coming with us. He was going to go with us next year because of Navy boot camp but his was postponed, while his brother's Marine boot camp was moved up, so now he can make it. Frank & I will have to find another cruise in the near future to go on together.

It is the right thing to do but I'm so bummed out...

I understand were you are coming. I had a 14 day cruise book on Ovation Dubai to Singapore for May 25th.... But the cruise Gods also did not want me on that cruise. Had a Real Estate deal come up here and could not be away for those 16 days. So I traded the cruise for 8 townhouses.... yes it hurts when you are looking forward to trips but at least you will have a good trip.

It maybe worked out for the better. I booked a short cruise end of this month to replace it. And now I see that Royal is going to move the Legend of the Seas next spring to be sold. While the Legend is not the Ovation in any way some really great deals on 10 day Singapore to Dubai trips. Also Dubai to Spain is really low pricing. Inside cabins under $50 per night and Suites for about $110 per night. 

I guess this might work out for the better too now that it has sunk in for 24hrs that Frank can't come with us...and he just told me to book a JS on Anthem for February while I'm on the cruise next week. That way he can get to experience Anthem and I get another cruise to plan  :)

I also bought him a new iPad last night so he can watch the Periscopes I will do on the ship so at least he can see us live. His phone is so old the app wasn't working properly.

Sue,

I really enjoy cruising solo. It is different, but making all new friends every cruise. Those nephews probably will have a ball and you probably won't see them until they get tired and need sleep. Have a great cruise and enjoy your time alone. I always bring books and magazines to read, do as much of the ship activities as I can, that keeps me busy.

Candie

Sue,

I really enjoy cruising solo. It is different, but making all new friends every cruise. Those nephews probably will have a ball and you probably won't see them until they get tired and need sleep. Have a great cruise and enjoy your time alone. I always bring books and magazines to read, do as much of the ship activities as I can, that keeps me busy.

Candie

Thanks Candie! I'm an avid reader and our cabin is not far from the solarium side entrance on Deck 13 so I'm already planning on spending lots of time there reading and taking in the views. Now that it has sunken in that Frank can't go I've started to get a bit more excited that now I can do a few things that he had no interest in on previous cruises and I've met up with some women on our roll call who are traveling single or with just a graduating daughter or son so we have plans to meet up a couple nights and dance the night away.

I also realized this means I have a lot more time to take pictures all over the ship and to Periscope since Frank humors me with my cameras but gets a bit annoyed when I'm always waiting for just the right shot, LOL.