Solo cruise

pmetcalf

My friend and i have a cruise booked on Harmony for December 2020 but she is not going to be able to go.  Do i need to change my reservation or just show up by myself?  We have $100 OBC which is split between us, will this automatically go to me?  Do i get double points if i don't change the reservation and she doesn't come?  

Thanks for any advice.

You have three options.

1.  Make no changes and your friend simply doesn't show up.  Eventually after the cruise the ports fees and taxes for your friend will be refunded to the credit card used to pay for the cruise.

2. Remove your friend from the booking now.  Assuming you booked with a non-refundable deposit your friend will have a future cruise credit valid for one year in the amount of one deposit minus a $100 fee.  The booking will be repriced with you as a solo traveler.   

3. Find another person to travel in your friend's place.

For #1 and #2 you will get double points.

OBC results will depend on how the OBC was offered.  Sometimes it's per cabin, sometimes it's per guest.  If per cabin you'll get all the OBC.  If per guest your friend's OBC will be lost.  Under option #2 OBC may be lost in the repricing.

You might want to price the same cabin category as a solo doing a mock booking so you can see what your cruise fare would be for option #2.  

Based on cruise fare minus one set of ports fees and taxes compared to the mock pricing for a solo booking you can decide how to proceed.

In some cases for #2 they can move you to a different cabin.  If your cabin is capable of more than two guests they could move you to free that cabin up to book more cruisers.  For this reason some people will go with #1 if the pricing comparison doesn't work in their favor by a large margin.