Jump to content
SteveinSC

Charleston, SC

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, wstephensi said:

The plan for a new terminal would include a parking garage currently where the cargo terminal warehouses are.  With the advent of containerized shipping those warehouses are under used.

This is the kind of content Im here for..... appreciate it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wstephensi said:

Charleston is a great city for a port call.  I've voiced much of my knowledge on a new port terminal.  Would anyone like to know something about Charleston?  

I grew up there, attended The Citadel and MUSC, was a city tour guide and horse cop.  I've flopped, boarded and stayed in many place down town.

Questions?

Something ive discussed with a friend of mine from the low country : The flooding in Charleston when heavy rains come.....more frequent than it used to be, or more media coverage than there used to be? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, SteveinSC said:

Something ive discussed with a friend of mine from the low country : The flooding in Charleston when heavy rains come.....more frequent than it used to be, or more media coverage than there used to be? 

Oh. boy!!!  The flooding at high tide and with rain storms has always been a problem.  And when both happens it is a real problem.  I do not believe it is any more so than 30 years ago.

1st find a map from say 1780 of the peninsula of Charleston.  Then compare to a map from today.  You discover two things:  1. Much of the current city is constructed on waist fill dirt. 2. Many of the current streets and roads sit on tidal creeks as mapped in 1780.

Walk around some of the newer buildings in MUSC area and you will notice 2-3 feet of subsidence of the parking lots around the buildings and you can see under the buildings (large buildings like hotels and hospitals).  Those buildings are build on pilings to a minimum depth of 33 feet some more.  The buildings stay but the parking lots sink under the weight of the asphalt.

Some of the streets are build on fill as well and many are built on colvert that contains the tidal creek under the street and acts as the storm sewer.  Thus heavy rain and high tide means storm sewer flows in reverse.

In approx 1992 or 1994 Mayor Riley enacted a flood control fee of $4 per month to pay to solve the flooding.  The fee is much higher now.  His plan was to pump the excess water underground during flooding and pump back into the ocean at low tide.  A deep hole was constructed over 20 years and no improvement.  (Currently a new bigger deeper hole is being constructed).  Why no improvement?  Because there is not a hole big enough or deep enough to pump the entire ocean into and that is what has to happen.  Remember the tidal creeks flood the city and are fed by the ocean.

I had this discussion with an engineer for the third firm hired by the city to solve the problem in 2005.  He agreed with me.  

The only thing that would have a chance of working is to construct a dike/levee around the city.  Then you could pump storm water out of the bowl.  Like in New Orleans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wstephensi said:

A deep hole was constructed over 20 years and no improvement.  (Currently a new bigger deeper hole is being constructed).  Why no improvement?  Because there is not a hole big enough or deep enough to pump the entire ocean into and that is what has to happen.  Remember the tidal creeks flood the city and are fed by the ocean.

I had this discussion with an engineer for the third firm hired by the city to solve the problem in 2005.  He agreed with me. 

 

So you're telling me: they thought digging a "deep hole" would displace enough water....OCEAN WATER? lol

As far as the New Orleans comparison, we've seen that doesn't always work, though it's probably the most effective method. Probably even more effective than N'awlins since Chucktown isn't BELOW sea level (I think)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a little traffic light luck, I'm 10 minutes from the terminal.

 

As to the ports and cargo ships - there is a HUGE new cargo terminal being built on the old Charleston Navy Base that 

hopefully divert a lot of traffic from downtown.  SCDOT is currently in the middle of an entire new interstate connector 

that should be finished in a few months.  

 

I would LOVE to be able to leave out of Charleston, but I'm skeptical that it will be done.  Carnival just signed a new lease,

and I'm sure they enjoy being the only dog in the kennel, not to mention the downtown bluebloods who simply hate the

idea of "more tourists" in their town.  I have a lot of friends who cruise out of Charleston, but to me, it's worth the 6 hour

drive and hotel stay in Port Canaveral to sail on Royal.  I'm not even interested in a Carnival cruise.

 

Here is a link to the new terminal website if anyone is interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

So you're telling me: they thought digging a "deep hole" would displace enough water....OCEAN WATER? lol

As far as the New Orleans comparison, we've seen that doesn't always work, though it's probably the most effective method. Probably even more effective than N'awlins since Chucktown isn't BELOW sea level (I think)? 

Charleston is much smaller than New Orleans and much of it is at or above mean high tide.  Road flooding is the real issue with little damage to homes or business.  Lower Market Street (eastern most market) shops flood from time to time and I have seen the water there knee deep and deeper in spots.  Wife got a nasty infection in her toe back in the summer of 1990, when we were dating, walking through the water on Market Street on her way to work.  I forgot to mention that the storm sewers still have some household and business waste/sewage that leaks in from pipes dating back to the late 1800's.  Please don't walk or play in Charleston's flooded streets.  It is not just rain water.

Medical side note: if the brackish water is warm (80+F) it can grow Vibrio vulnificus, which can cause a nasty infection if you have an open wound, scrape or scratch and wade in the water.  This organism killed many folks who waded in the waters following Katrina in New Orleans.  Originally their deaths were reported as caused by Vibrio cholerae or cholera. 

I grew up being told not to play or wade  in the flood waters.  My wife who grew up in Rock Hill (did you catch that) was attending the College of Charleston in 1990 and did not know better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wstephensi said:

Please don't walk or play in Charleston's flooded streets.  It is not just rain water.

Literally, every photo I see on the Post & Courier's website, when it floods, is of someone IN the flooded streets. YUCK. Ive never been there while theyve been flooded, so thank you for this info. I have kids, who love nothing more than playing in puddles.....RAIN puddles.

Ill be down there for a wedding, staying over at Patriots Point, the weekend before Thanksgiving. Then, back down for camping on the Yorktown with my boys Scout pack on Dec. 7th. Looking forward to that one! Charleston really is a great town. Thanks for sharing it with us.  

@WAAAYTOOO Rock Hill....I tell ya.....were going to be a tourism hot spot before long....people curious from the RC Blog, alone!  🤣  Not sure I can provide as much amazing info about Rock Hill as @wstephensi and others have about Charleston....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a more positive note, here is some Charleston trivia:  Charles Towne was first settled in 1670 by the British on the west bank of the Ashley River.  Currently the location is known as Charlestowne Landing State Park.  It includes a replica of the original settlement and 17th century sailing vessel, a zoo of native animals, and the plantation that was owned by Dr. and Mrs. Waring.  Mrs. Waring deeded the land to the state upon her death.  Dr. Warring was famous for his painless injections and the MUSC historical library is named after him.  He was also brother to Federal Judge J. W. Waring famous for beginning school desegregation cases that would lead to Brown vs Board of Education.  The Waring House would become known as the Governor's House after the plantation was deeded to the state.

If you are in Charleston, Charlestowne  Landing is a great place to start your tour.  It is not down town but only 10 minutes by car or taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wstephensi said:

On a more positive note, here is some Charleston trivia:  Charles Towne was first settled in 1670 by the British on the west bank of the Ashley River.  Currently the location is known as Charlestowne Landing State Park.  It includes a replica of the original settlement and 17th century sailing vessel, a zoo of native animals, and the plantation that was owned by Dr. and Mrs. Waring.  Mrs. Waring deeded the land to the state upon her death.  Dr. Warring was famous for his painless injections and the MUSC historical library is named after him.  He was also brother to Federal Judge J. W. Waring famous for beginning school desegregation cases that would lead to Brown vs Board of Education.  The Waring House would become known as the Governor's House after the plantation was deeded to the state.

If you are in Charleston, Charlestowne  Landing is a great place to start your tour.  It is not down town but only 10 minutes by car or taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Have to check it out! Seen the signs, but never been there. Best starting point for a "vacation" for me, driving in, has been to come in on Ashley River Rd. and hit the plantations.  Some beautiful properties and grounds, with some sad and rich history. Charleston, overall, just oozes history....which is a large part of its appeal, for me. I would think, if stopping on a cruise, there would be excursions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Trivia:  Charleston is home to the oldest museum in the USA and the oldest municipal college in the US and oldest college in SC, The College of Charleston.  

The City was the sight of the first major defeat of the British in 1776.

The first shots of the Civil War were fired on the Federal supply ship Star of the West, then later Fort Sumter.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you come to Charleston walk down town and take a tour.  See a plantation or three .  Middleton, Boone Hall and Magnolia are all great.  Take in a museum.  Walk along the Battery and rest in the shade of White Point Gardens.  Do a house tour or two.  Tour the Old Customs House and Dungeon.  Learn about pirates.  Visit Fort Sumter and Moultrie.  If it is Friday afternoon get over to The Citadel and watch a dress parade.  Get out of the City and hike the Francis Marion Forest.  See ancient oyster mounds, wolves, raptors.  Lots to do.

Try fried green tomatoes, red rice, shrimp and grits, okra, she crab soup, seafood of all kinds.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Ill be down there for a wedding, staying over at Patriots Point, the weekend before Thanksgiving. Then, back down for camping on the Yorktown with my boys Scout pack on Dec. 7th. Looking forward to that one! Charleston really is a great town. Thanks for sharing it with us.  

The BSoA have been camping on the USS Yorktown for decades.  In college I'd sneak on the ship after hours with dates knowing that the security would think I was with the BSoA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in Knightdale (right outside of Raleigh, NC) and I guarantee that if there was a RC ship out of Charleston, I would absolutely cruise more often (and include my kids/larger groups) because it is such a driveable distance (and Charleston is a fun locale for us since we are foodies). @AnnetteJackson thanks for continuing to encourage RC to try to get something lined up there in the future! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 12:02 PM, S.Marie said:

I am in Knightdale (right outside of Raleigh, NC) and I guarantee that if there was a RC ship out of Charleston, I would absolutely cruise more often (and include my kids/larger groups) because it is such a driveable distance (and Charleston is a fun locale for us since we are foodies). @AnnetteJackson thanks for continuing to encourage RC to try to get something lined up there in the future! 

Hey.. I am from Cary and lived there until 5 years ago... know Knightdale well.  I keep asking, they keep saying maybe one day - but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...