how does the dining package work?

cjappert

We are sailing for 13 days, so I was thinking of getting a dining package to mix things up a bit.. We will be on Anthem. I see that for 5 meals its 110$ PP. How does it work for the meal? is it 1 app.1 entrée and 1 desert per person? is it "order whatever you want" like at the complementary restaurants? 

This post should be helpful: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/01/28/spotlight-royal-caribbean-dining-packages

Essentially, if the restaurant normally has a cover charge, you are entitled to sample many of the entrees, appetizers and desserts.  Some restaurants, like Chops Grille, limit the amount of entrees you can have, but none that I am aware of have any limit on appetizers or desserts.

If the restaurant is regularly priced a la carte (Izumi or Sabor), you are entitled up to $30 worth of food.

thank you!

the places we wanted to try were

1.Wonderland

2.Chops

3.Jamie's Italian

would those be cover charge or a la carte? how would I find out?

They are all cover charge.

You can always check in your Cruise Planner on the Royal Caribbean web site to see how they are priced. 

On a longer cruise with extra sea days these packages really look good.  But it is a personal choice, you really do not need these extra dinning options, like balcony cabins nice to have but not required. Another way to look at this is for a very low cost you can try several new venues. If you went to a land based Jamie Oliver  it would cost you as much as the total package. With most options open for lunch and dinner the package is a nice add to a great cruise.