Help needed for a Dubai cruise with RCI

Hi

I'm a long time lurker but registered because I need help from you experts. ? Can anyone who's been on a Royal Caribbean cruise in the Persian Gulf tell me about their experience? I tried to ask some question about some concerns I had in another thread but got no responses. The questions can be found here:

Me and my wife like to travel and see new places. We have never been to The Middle East before. We believe cruising with Royal Caribbean would be a great and safe way to check out some of the highlights in that region. We are looking at a seven night cruise starting the 16th December with Jewel of the Seas as our travel agent has a great price on that itinerary. 

Have anyone gone on a cruise from Dubai? Please tell about your experiences. Also any suggestion on shore excursions? For security reason we plan on only booking excursions directly with Royal Caribbean. Because the whole region is Islamic, is that something that could affect our experience?

Welcome to the message boards.  I wish we could be of more help but many of us don't have experience cruising the Middle East.  My one and only cruise in the Persian Gulf was a freebie, paid for by the US Navy 20+ years.  I would suggest you go to the dreaded Cruise Critic message boards as they have some destination pages which may be what you need.  Also Trip Advisor is another good site with some shore excursion reviews.  

One suggestion would be wear clothing acceptable to local customs.   That doesn't mean head to toe coverings for your wife but things like sleeveless shirts and shorts tend to be frowned upon. Shirts with sleeves, a modest skirt or pants and pack a scarf to wear as a head covering for tours that take you into a mosque.  

Dubai is a mix of international and traditional people.  It is very safe but politics in the region is constantly changing.  For that reason, I would purchase Cancel for any Reason trip insurance so if you feel it would be unsafe you can get your money back with your cruise.  

If you are looking to buy any jewelry, gold and diamonds are some good buys.  Just do your research prior to buying anything.

Good luck!