Changes in Reservation

If you book a refundable deposit, and you need to make changes in a reservation, how does that work? We are planning to cruise next year...three of us, my husband, 15 year old daughter, and me....but my mother in law may decide later that she wants to go.  Can my daughter change to my mother in law's room without a penalty?

I could be wrong but this is what I think will happen (if both cabins are reserved under a refundable deposit):

- Your original cabin with the three of you will remain minus your daughter’s portion. She will be refunded her deposit amount and you will pay for passenger 1&2. No penalty because it is refundable.

- Your MIL’s cabin is where it gets tricky (I think).  When your daughter is added to it, the entire reservation will be re-priced at prevailing rates because you are adding on. The price is not locked in because you need 3 or more to lock down the price. Seeing that cruise fares usually increase over time, she and your MIL may end up paying a whole lot more.

It is always easier to book refundable and pull one out than add one in, unless you have 3 or more. 

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It is always easier to book refundable and pull one out than add one in, unless you have 3 or more. 

+1 to this - OR - you could just add your MIL to say in your room ? 

(i can tease on this one, because my MIL and SIL stayed in our room - BUT it was the AT2BR on Oasis)