Man falls overboard on Oasis

Jerel

Hey everyone, we're in Lauderdale now waiting to board our ship (Indy). We noticed the Oasis was late coming in and then seen in the local paper a man fell overboard. I don't think they found him either. You can find a video of him falling on YouTube.

It's too bad it happened.

I'm surprised they never found him, seeing how they had notice, he was hanging for awhile.

Just thought I'd share.

https://youtu.be/5qvbDIZGgfs

Hey everyone, we're in Lauderdale now waiting to board our ship (Indy). We noticed the Oasis was late coming in and then seen in the local paper a man fell overboard. I don't think they found him either. You can find a video of him falling on YouTube.

It's too bad it happened.

I'm surprised they never found him, seeing how they had notice, he was hanging for awhile.

Just thought I'd share. https://youtu.be/5qvbDIZGgfs

Read about this in the news. Sounded like a drunken stunt gone horribly wrong, but they weren'tgiving many details.

I was waiting to weigh in. I didn't know how Matt felt about discussing this here. A lot of people (who run blogs and facebook groups, etc.) are handling it differently. Some say "out of respect" we shouldn't post the video or even discuss it, but I don't believe it's ever smart to sweep things under the rug, bury your head in the sand, and pretend like it didn't happen. I agree that we shouldn't speculate and slander, but it's reality and people ought to be informed. Again, I'll await Matt's leadership.

Regardless, it's an unfortunate tragedy with lessons to be learned. It was a sad day.

I was following it on CC.....crazy. Sounds like a dispute that ended in tragedy from what I gather....the video I think is now pulled down.

it makes big news when it happens on a cruise ship....but when you think about how many ppl cruise each week and the few times this happens..surprised we dont see more ppl doing this.

Sad for the family, and delayed the ship and thousands of passengers as well.

Speaking of that....Majesty got in some trouble with CDC...and had to do a huge cleaning, delaying her cruise last night...a lot of unhappy guests......

Just hope no delays for me Monday morning when I am ready to board her!

I know it's a touchy issue but even if someone did make a remark such as "lipstick" or "pedo" to me I'm not gay but let's say I was (shh don't tell my girlfriend) I would've just shot back with a profanity like **** you or something, reported it to Customer Service probably have gotten a free cruise if this was said (BIG IF here) and called it a day. No reason whatsoever to start jumping.... Sounds like there were some underlining issues... In any case RIP to that poor soul... Does anyone know generally speaking how long it takes to stop a boat going full speed like that? I'm sure it's gotta be at least what a mile?

Does anyone know generally speaking how long it takes to stop a boat going full speed like that? I'm sure it's gotta be at least what a mile?

That was actually a question asked on my Liberty of the Seas cruise last month (of course prior to this tragedy)... the captain said it takes one mile to stop the ship (Freedom class) at average cruising speed... probably a little longer for the Oasis class ships... I believe average cruising speed is in the 16-20 knot range (based on checking out the channel in my stateroom)...