Splendour of the Seas, sold to Thomson

Philowen

Hi,

I've never been on a cruise before, but I'm booked on Splendour of the Seas, from Dubai, over New Year 2015. Just me and my 14yr old daughter.

I'm not that bothered about the ports of call, just want some sun, decent food and drink on board, and things to do on board.

I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I pay the remaining balance of the trip.

I understand that the ship is being sold to Thomson next year, and the impression I am getting is that the ship is starting to suffer from a lack of maintenance, the food quality is at best, average, the drinks are expensive, and the staff service/attitude is variable.

This will be the most expensive holiday I have ever been on, and based on the information I have obtained so far, I'm thinking of losing the deposit and not going.

Is it normal that things might slide, if a ship is being sold on, and therefore a bad idea to book a cruise on one ?

I have booked the drinks package, due to the cost of drinks, but not sure what the quality of drinks included are like. I will be quite happy if it includes reasonable wine and beer. I would also like the food to be appetising and varied.

Look forward to any comments.

Food is very subjective as are the reviews. I had some of the best food on the Brilliance last month after reading reviews about how bad the food was. I'm also booked on the Liberty and have read reviews from cruisers on the same cruise where half said it was horrible and the other half said it was fabulous.

Regarding maintaining the ship, it's in Royal's interest to keep her well maintained otherwise they'd be breaching the sales contract. In addition, they have their own reputation to maintain.

I wouldn't worry about it being sold and as a result, your cruise is somehow affected.

I was on Monarch of the Seas a few months before she was sold, and I wouldn't have been able to tell you any difference. It was "business as usual" in all aspects from what I could tell.

Enjoy the cruise..it will be great!

Drinks are subjective too but I really like them. Many different options and flavors, I find the 'drinks of the day' for 8 dollars are good too. I was surprise to find they were strong, I was expecting something watered down. I'm not picky with wine so I was happy with it. The beer wasn't too bad of a price, on my cruises a lot of people were buying little coolers with about 6 beer in them for around 30. I'm sure someone else here would know the exact deal.

Also, unless you drink allot the drink package can cost you more, don't forget to calculate in your port days when you think of how much you'll drink.

Best of luck.