Royal Caribbean announced $110 million in upgrades and enhancements to Explorer of the Seas coming in 2020.
The bow to stern refurbishment will prepare Explorer of the Seas for a summer 2020 season in the Mediterranean and include a number of big changes. Beginning May 7, 2020, Explorer – the first amplified ship to cruise from Rome (Civitavecchia) – sets sail on 7- and 9-night itineraries to the best of Italy and the Greek Isles, from Santorini to Mykonos and Crete.
The announced changes to Explorer of the Seas include:
- Perfect Storm waterslides: Two high-speed racer slides.
- Reimagined poolscape: New, resort-style look is coming to the pool deck. Hammocks, daybeds, casitas and in-pool loungers will be added.
- The Lime & Coconut is Royal Caribbean’s signature, poolside bar. The three-level venue is at the heart of the new pool deck and features a rooftop deck.
- Rejuvenated adults-only Solarium.
- Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen: New refresh of Royal Caribbean's signature Italian restaurant. The reimagined trattoria will welcome guests to a casual setting and offer classics with a contemporary flair. From hand-tossed pizzas fresh out of the oven and made to order, to charcuterie delights, the elevated menu caps off this “Sunday supper” experience with a wide selection of wines and limoncellos from many of Italy’s well-known regions.
- Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade, the high-energy spot where guests can root for their home team as the game plays across 52 TVs. On offer will be an extensive menu of bar fare favorites with a twist and ice-cold brews, games of all kinds – arcade classics, trivia, tournaments and pool – and the Owner’s Box VIP area.
- Johnny Rockets Express will be added to the pool deck to serve up classic American fare, including spiked milkshakes.
- A standalone Starbucks comes aboard with its signature menu of drinks and pastries.
- Glow-in-the-dark laser tag: Coming to Studio B, guests can fight in the Clash for the Crystal City and pit the Yetis and Showshifters against each other for, "the ultimate faceoff to escape extinction"
- Revamped Adventure Ocean: A major makeover to the cruise line's award-winning program for younger guests and their families. It will feature an open, imaginative layout with whimsical and immersive activities. Kids 6 to 12 years old can choose their own adventure, while babies and 3- to 5-year-olds enjoy specially designed spaces for each age group
- An exclusive teens hangout will sport a whole new look and features, including the latest in movies, gaming and music, and the addition of a private outdoor deck.
While Explorer of the Seas is in the Eastern Mediterranean, she will be joined by Allure of the Seas in the Western Mediterranean from Barcelona.
Following her European season, Explorer of the Seas will set course for the Caribbean. Guests can choose from 5- and 9-night Eastern and Southern Caribbean sailings, roundtrip from Miami, including visits to Royal Caribbean’s new private island destination – Perfect Day at CocoCay.
Explorer of the Seas is the fourth ship in the Voyager Class to be transformed as part of the cruise line’s Royal Amplified fleet modernization effort.