Dining

poider

G'day, just wondering about the my time dining, we booked it for the Radiance but ended up dining with friends at a set time on their table every night. if we had done the my time dining we would have needed to dine upstairs only, is this the same on Voyager and do they have a problem with only two of us wanting a table for two, do we need to book a time or can we turn up each night when we are ready to eat?

Peter

On the Jewel, MTD was always upstairs with fixed dining downstairs. We never made a reservation as that defeats the purpose of MTD in our minds. Waits for a table were minimal--we were usually seated right away--and we always had a table to ourselves. Keep in mind, though, that the tables for two are so close together that it almost feels as if you're dining with others and some waiters take and deliver orders with a group of adjoining tables as if you were all at a single table.

I believe that the layout is pretty standard for all of the ships except for the Q class (but I certainly cannot say that I have been on all of the ships - I have not !) where traditional dining will be on one floor and MTD will be on another (usually traditional downstairs and MTD upstairs, from my experience).

As for whether or not you have a private table or a group table, that option is available to you up front where you can choose to have the private table option. As Doc suggests, if you choose to go "commando" and have no reservation at all, then you run the risk of having to compromise on the option for a private table OR face something of a wait until a private table becomes available. Depending upon the time that you choose to dine, that wait can be minimal or much longer if you choose to do the "walk up" option at 6PM.

Going against the entire concept of MTD, I always make a reservation for the earliest possible dining time. I know that this seems to defeat the purpose of having MTD but b/c we always choose to have a private table, it seems that we have more options upstairs than downstairs. I guess I am a traditional diner at heart b/c I like having the same waiter and the same table every night BUT I want a private table, so I do MTD upstairs at 5:30 every night. Period.

It's nice to have options !