MDR Menu Schedule on 10-Night Cruises

JohnK6404

Hello from NY!

Brand new to this valuable forum... my wife and I will be going on our next this October (22nd) on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty.  Just booked Allure for SEPT 2016 (FL)... as always, fingers crossed for good weather!

My question is also about the MDR menus, but specifically on the 10-night cruise like the one we'll be going on in OCT.  We want to go at least once to Portofino and Chops respectively, but don't want to miss the "lobster" night in the MDR.

Looks like on the 7-day cruises it is on the 6th evening (Jasmine menu) from what I've read here on the forum... does anyone know which night it would be on the 10-night cruise?  The 9th night?

Thanks in advance!

There's no way to know for sure this far out, but if the second night is at sea, it will likely be formal night. The second formal night will be near the end of the cruise, likely on a sea day, unless it's the last night.

We always book our specialty dining for the first and last night for this very reason. There's no competing special entrees in the MDR and it allows us to celebrate being onboard and then a farewell dinner.

There's no way to know for sure this far out, but if the second night is at sea, it will likely be formal night. The second formal night will be near the end of the cruise, likely on a sea day, unless it's the last night.

We always book our specialty dining for the first and last night for this very reason. There's no competing special entrees in the MDR and it allows us to celebrate being onboard and then a farewell dinner.

Thanks!

Once the online period opens up for scheduling dining I'll give them a call to see if they know.  I figured one of the last evenings (probably the 9th night) would be the night... we are at sea the last 3 evenings.

In my experience, it is usually the second and the second to the last night if both are sea days. However, this is based on 7 day cruises; it's possible it could be different on longer cruises, although I doubt it. I'll be on a 12 night in July and can report back.

Don't expect much help when calling Royal. They usually don't know the particulars aboard any ship. If you're in a suite or know someone that is, you could check with the concierge onboard; that would be the most reliable source of information.

Yeah, Doc is right. They will not be able to tell you at the "Help Desk". They have no idea what the individual ship menus are going to be. They can't even tell you for sure how many formal nights you will have. On the longer cruises sometimes there are more than 2 formal nights...not sure about a 10 day. That's kind of a 'tweener. Could be 2, could be 3.

It has been my experience that whatever night I decided to book a specialty restaurant THAT turned out to be the night that they were serving whatever I was most anxious to have in the MDR. Typically, that is one of the lamb dishes. My husband's absolute, hands down, favorite meal on a RCI cruise is the lamb shank...followed closely by the rack of lamb. So when we used to go to the specialty restaurants (we have lately decided that they are no longer a "good value" - with the price increases, reduced server capacity and lower overall food quality - and so we do not go to any specialty restaurants anymore with the infrequent exception of Izumi) we would almost certainly book them on a night that we ended up having to change our reservation anyway. The concierge option is a good idea...and even if you do not have access to the concierge, they will usually help you if you go by the MDR during "closed" hours...someone will usually be hanging around, doing whatever it is they do between meals... and will have the answers or try and find out for you.

One of the most interesting experiences I have EVER had on a ship was the afternoon that we went by to find out what night they were serving mushroom soup and we got to see the complete CHAOS that is the "menu closet" where the MILLIONS of loose menus live when it is not "their night". It was astonishing....amazing that they can EVER find the menus that they want/need. They had menus in a bajillion different languages and with an endless number of food variations. With all of that mess, the lady was finally able to find what she was looking for (only she knew what that was) and gave us an answer to our question. I am still impressed with this lovely lady's persistence. We had given up hope of ever finding out what night was mushroom soup night, but she searched and dodged the stacks of ever-shifting loose menu monoliths until she was ultimately successful. Maybe we were just lucky and found someone willing to help, but they will usually help if they can.

One of the things that I am most concerned about - with the new DD and also with the Classic dining that they are introducing on Harmony - is that we will no longer be able to get the dishes that we look SOOOO forward to like the lamb shank and the cream of mushroom soup. Since the new restaurants are all going to have "fixed" menus, what is going to happen to the wonderful dishes that don't get "adopted" by one of the static-menu restaurants ? Will my mushroom soup become an orphan ? I really really wish that they would continue to have a revolving/changing menu option SOMEWHERE but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case.

Oh...I forgot... This is a NEW and IMPROVED Program.

• 2 weeks later...

DD is Dynamic Dining. That is the new dining scheme on the Quantum class ships and was scheduled to be implemented on the Oasis and Allure but has been indefinitely delayed as far as I know. They are advertising it on Harmony so I assume they will have it on that ship once it begins service.

Rather than having a Main Dining Room (MDR) that serves a different menu every night, DD will have separate, smaller individual restaurants with static menus - meaning the menus will not change from day to day..they will always serve the same things night after night.

The reservations system is different for MDR dining and DD as well...