Peanut allergies while on the ship

Bobbyd68

30 minutes ago, Bobbyd68 said:

Traveling in June with a child that has a peanut allergy.  How does the kitchen staff deal with this issue?  What should I look out for?

Royal has an entirely separate kitchen in which they prepare meals for those with any type of food allergy. They will recommend that you avoid the buffet because of the possibility of cross-contamination, but the Executive Sous Chef will also walk you through the buffet and inform you of all of the ingredients, too. In all honesty, I don't recall seeing anything with peanuts/peanut butter on any of the menus, but I could be wrong. I don't even remember nuts when they had an ice cream sundae bar.

Make sure that you complete the special needs form here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

You'll see a place at the bottom of the form to indicate any dietary restrictions/allergies, so don't be confused with the first part of the form.

My son has a tree nut allergy.  We were on Harmony in September.  We told our head waiter and they always went to the kitchen and verified which meals were safe.  That was MDR and specialty.   

In the Coastal Kitchen (suite restaurant) they did the same and asked what night we would be returning.  They baked a special apple pie without nuts for dessert that evening.  

All in all I was impressed.  As soon as we said 'allergy' they stopped and took it seriously.  MDR, Chops, Jamie's or Coastal Kitchen.  I definitely felt like they had been trained to listen for that keyword despite any language differences.