Ovation of the Seas: May 9th - May 17th (8 Night Alaska Glacier Cruise)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CoffeeNoodle said:

This will be my husband and I's first Alaska cruise!! Only 29 more days to go!

Except the itinerary change that was just sent out a few hours ago has been a slight disappointment as we're no longer sailing to Sitka. 😥

NOOOOOO. I just checked my email and got the bad news.

@LLW2683 They replaced Sitka with Victoria, BC. At least we'll be in Victoria for a full 12 hours though (from 8 AM - 8 PM). The itinerary itself also got slightly reshuffled, and we're now spending a few hours less in Ketchikan (the original itinerary had us there from 8 AM - 6 PM).

Here's a screenshot of the updated itinerary from Royal's email:

image.png.41a33346ec49bc638f79050a8e9e3d01.png

Also, for more context the beginning of the email mentioned that this itinerary change is due to "tidal window restrictions in Vancouver, BC". 

Can we board in Vancouver and then get off to explore the city since we are not leaving until 1am? We are arriving very late the night before and would love to see some of Vancouver.

Disappointed about Sitka and the shortened time in Ketchikan, since we had the float plane booked for there.  Waiting to see what Royal offers for excursions, especially Victoria. If nothing good or nothing at all at this rate, will book through viator.

32 minutes ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

Can we board in Vancouver and then get off to explore the city since we are not leaving until 1am? We are arriving very late the night before and would love to see some of Vancouver.

Disappointed about Sitka and the shortened time in Ketchikan, since we had the float plane booked for there.  Waiting to see what Royal offers for excursions, especially Victoria. If nothing good or nothing at all at this rate, will book through viator.

I’m not sure about the getting off part. We called Royal yesterday and asked about the shore excursions since we had a Ketchikan one booked for 9am and we will be arriving later than that. I also asked about excursions for the new port and they said it could go live at any point, so not super helpful. 

We booked another flight seeing tour directly with the company in Ketchikan. They were extremely helpful and it was $500 less than what we had booked through Royal. 

We have adjusted or changed Juneau and Ketchikan, thankfully Skagway was unaffected. 

DH said excursions are live on Royal for Ketchikan, but still nothing for Victoria. Patiently waiting on Royal IT to get to work. 😎

On 4/11/2024 at 12:23 PM, CoffeeNoodle said:

@LLW2683 They replaced Sitka with Victoria, BC. At least we'll be in Victoria for a full 12 hours though (from 8 AM - 8 PM). The itinerary itself also got slightly reshuffled, and we're now spending a few hours less in Ketchikan (the original itinerary had us there from 8 AM - 6 PM).

Here's a screenshot of the updated itinerary from Royal's email:

image.png.41a33346ec49bc638f79050a8e9e3d01.png

Also, for more context the beginning of the email mentioned that this itinerary change is due to "tidal window restrictions in Vancouver, BC". 

I paid for an Alaska cruise not a British Columbia cruise!

4 hours ago, Joe CHECKLOW said:

I paid for an Alaska cruise not a British Columbia cruise!

Yea, honestly my wife and I would of even preferred a different Alaskan port/glacier or adding an overnight in one of the Alaskan ports we are already going to.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:37 PM, VeronicaS1970 said:

So Royal finally updated ShoreEx, 4 whole options. We think we are just going to taxi to the Fairmont Empress and hit up the museum and Parliament. 

It looks like Royal just released a bunch of new excursions for Victoria.

For Victoria, we decided just to take the shuttle into the city and hit up the Parliament and Royal BC museum. Lunch at The Flying Otter and checking out Chinatown/ Fan Tan Alley. 

Am I disappointed that we are missing Sitka? Yes. But we still have 3 ports with great things planned. Just hoping that the weather is decent, I really don't want to use the puffer jacket I am bringing!

Edited by VeronicaS1970
Spelling

I completely agree about the 3 Alaskan ports and the hope for decent weather! We're thrilled to explore Alaska for the first time, while celebrating my husband's birthday amidst its stunning scenery! Plus, we're excited for the 8-night cruise overall, which feels like a bonus compared to the usual 7-night Alaska cruises. 🥳

We also called Royal Caribbean last night to inquire about the possibility of disembarking for a bit in Vancouver in the evening on Day 1, a few hours after boarding. The representative informed us that this won't be possible due to safety concerns. Once we board the ship, we'll need to remain on board.