Passport expiring

cruisefam86

53 minutes ago, cruisefam86 said:

My son’s passport expires 10 days after we return. Will he be able to board with it for a western Caribbean itinerary or do I need to take his birth certificate?

Multiple thoughts on this.

1. Contact your travel agent or Royal for the official answer.

2. If your cruise is far enough out, maybe you can renew the passport before you leave.  Depended on your location it could be done in 1 day.

3.  Is the son a US citizen? Is the cruise a closed loop cruise leaving from the US?  If so you may be able to use a government issued ID and an accepted birth certificate (can’t remember the exact term) to board.

You’re going to need to check the details with your travel agent or Royal on exactly the type of birth certificate you can use.  While I agree that the people on this board (including myself) are top notch and knowledgeable, the only answer that counts is the one from Royal, which your travel agent can assist in getting.

good luck!

If the passport can't be renewed  take it anyway because it is valid in case you need to fly home in an emergency. Ports vary in their requirements, but if you use birth certificate as discussed, don't leave passport at home. Another reason to use TA who might have addressed travel docs early in planning for the trip.