Using a gift card during my cruise

My family is going on our first RC cruise after several on Disney.  My children are tweens and I usually restrict access to our onboard account.  I usually give them a $50 Disney gift card which they can use in the gift shop, mocktails, etc.  Can you use a gift card onboard an RC ship.  Would it be better to open a cash account for them with a limit?  Thank you.

I can't answer the gift card question, but maybe it's time to just ask your kids to step up and understand the value/cost of the vacation you are providing and to adhere to limits not because they hit a brick wall restriction, but because they are limits.  Every child is different and if you think they absolutely aren't ready, I get it, but if you think they might be, give it a whirl, watch the account each day and if they exceed your reasonable limits then shut them down for the rest of the trip.

We didn't authorize our son to charge his SeaPass until he was in high school.  At that point he roamed the ship with his friends and only saw us for meals.  When he was younger, he was usually with us or Adventure Ocean.  We tried arcade prepaid access once, but we couldn't get it to work.  And he had a soda card, so he could get drinks on his own when needed.

8 hours ago, Richard Cohen said:

Would it be better to open a cash account for them with a limit?

If your kids can't adhere to a limit on their own (no judgment meant, all kids are different), I would do something like this.

I believe you can set a limit for them and still just link the payment to your CC if that's easier than setting up separate cash accounts but I'm not 100% sure.