Credit Card Holds

Hello all!!! I'm hoping you can offer some advice to me. I am going on the harmony in a few weeks, and I have been on several cruises before. I wanted to know about credit cards and sea pass accounts. Does Royal Caribbean place a hold on your credit card in addition to charging at the end. I calculated my charges for gratuity and know that it will be about $200 total for 2 cabins. I have two cabins, one cabin has $150 credit and the other has 50. I know those credits will go towards gratuities.  I was worried they would put a hold per cabin in addition to the actual charge. I only have about 700 available on my credit card. It is not a debit card.

Thank you for your advice fellow cruisers!!!

Hi there, I'm hoping you can offer some advice to me. I am going on the harmony in a few weeks, and I have been on several cruises before. I wanted to know about credit cards and see pass accounts. Does Royal Caribbean place a hold on your credit card in addition to charging at the end. I calculated my charges for gratuity and know that it will be about $200. I have two cabins, one cabin has $150 credit and the other has 50. I was worried they would put a hold per cabin in addition to the actual charge. I only have about 700 available on my credit card. It is not a debit card.

Thank you for your advice. I trust what you will say, I've listened to many of your podcasts and always appreciate all of your advice.

Hi Erica,

Each cruise line does this a bit differently.  If I recall, Royal Caribbean pre-authorizes your daily spend but doesn't apply any charges until the end.  In other words, for one room with 2 guests on a 4 night sailing, without considering any OBC or additional purhcases (drinks, spa, etc), where gratuities are $13.50 per person:

Night 1: Authorization for $27
Night 2: Authorization for $54
Night 3: Authorization for $81
Night 4: Authorization for $108
Disembarkation Day: Charge for $108

Remember RCI could change this at any point.  You can also settle your tab at any point during your cruise using cash.  I was actually interviewed by CreditCards.com about this and other considerations when using a credit card at sea.  You may find some other useful tips in that link below.  Let me know if I can clarify or answer any other questions.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/cruise-ship-credit-card-problems.php