Nassau

Lyman Dayton

My family and I are cruising out of Port Liberty on Oasis in June of this year.  One of the ports of call will be Nassau.  I’ve been reading that Nassau has been receiving in excess of 25,000 cruisers per day.  If that is the case, I want to know how best to approach that day.  My wife and I have been there and enjoyed the beaches and want our children to enjoy the beaches as well and maybe a site or two.  Here are some options I’m considering - what are your thoughts?  

*is $500+ for an excursion to Pearl Island or Blue Lagoon worth it?  It would be pushing the budget a little.

*do we wait for an hour or two to disembark to allow crowds to die down a little?  Then take a taxi to a beach like Cable or walk to Junkaroo?

*another option would be to get a cab to drive us around to places of interest and then drop us off at Junkaroo?

Again, any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi @Lyman Dayton  You might consider checking cruismapper.com to see what ships are in port that day to give you an idea of how  busy the port will be. Just Google ships in port Nassau and choose cruisemapper. Scroll midway down and select schedule. We are on Oasis in July and there is only one other ship in Nassau the day we arrive so not too busy. 
  As for the excursions, it is my understanding that Blue Lagoon has a roundtrip travel time of about an hour so that might leave you about 4 hours at the island.  You may consider that when deciding. I can’t speak for Pearl Island. For what it is worth, we’ve been to Nassau with many ships in port and just walked to a few nearby bars/restaurants and didn’t have an issue finding a table. 

64185499-64A2-4D25-8C3D-D808E7A5B40A.jpeg

I think another consideration is that many cruisers opt out of heading into Nassau, especially

lately (you just don't hear many good things about the city, even with the $millions being poured

into the cruiseport area).   So if there are 5 ships with, say, 20,000 passengers, there will likely

be just over 50% capacity.