xSAILEDx Odyssey of the Seas - July 16— 23, 2023 (7 Night Greek Isles Cruise)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Dutch Frost said:

40 days to go until I hop on board!! Safe Travels. What excursions did you book?

This is our first time in Europe, so take these plans in that light.  We have done a lot of research online and with guide books to help.  We used Rick Steves' Italy book and his Mediterranean Cruise book. 

We do not have any RC excursions booked.  We will be in Rome for 5 days prior to the cruise.  We have booked tours through The Roman Guy for Skip the line access to the Vatican and the Colosseum. We also have a tour booked for the Borghese Gallery through Loving Rome.  

We will be doing a private tour in Santorini with Santorini Nikos, where we will meet a driver at the top of the Cable Cars in Fira.  They will take us around the island and we have dinner reservations for 7:30PM to see the sunset.  

In Mykonos, we have a tour scheduled with Sunfos Alessia yachting where we will tour Delos and snorkel off Rhenia Island. This includes a lunch onboard the tour boat.

We have also booked a private tour of Ephesus.  We are using Ephesus Port Tours.  This tour company gets excellent reviews. The price per person for the tour does not include admission to the museums, but even with those added in, it's not much more than booking through Royal.  We are looking forward to not having to be on a schedule with dozens of other people.

In Naples, we will take the train to Pompeii and meet a small tour through [email protected].  I found this through  Rick Steves' tour guide book and the price is 20 euros per person plus the 16 euro Pompeii admission fee. The tours get excellent reviews online and the groups are much smaller than the RC tours.  I understand that the train from Naples to Pompeii is a crowded crazy experience, but we wanted to have the option to stay a bit and explore Pompeii on our own after our tour ends.  We looked at a couple of other tour companies that take you by van/bus to Pompeii and then bring you back to Naples.  This would avoid the train travel.  We plan to take the train back to Naples and hopefully have time to grab a slice of pizza and take a quick tour of the Naples National Archaeological Museum, focusing on the Pompeii exhibits. 

3 hours ago, foxrunner said:

This is our first time in Europe, so take these plans in that light.  We have done a lot of research online and with guide books to help.  We used Rick Steves' Italy book and his Mediterranean Cruise book. 

We do not have any RC excursions booked.  We will be in Rome for 5 days prior to the cruise.  We have booked tours through The Roman Guy for Skip the line access to the Vatican and the Colosseum. We also have a tour booked for the Borghese Gallery through Loving Rome.  

We will be doing a private tour in Santorini with Santorini Nikos, where we will meet a driver at the top of the Cable Cars in Fira.  They will take us around the island and we have dinner reservations for 7:30PM to see the sunset.  

In Mykonos, we have a tour scheduled with Sunfos Alessia yachting where we will tour Delos and snorkel off Rhenia Island. This includes a lunch onboard the tour boat.

We have also booked a private tour of Ephesus.  We are using Ephesus Port Tours.  This tour company gets excellent reviews. The price per person for the tour does not include admission to the museums, but even with those added in, it's not much more than booking through Royal.  We are looking forward to not having to be on a schedule with dozens of other people.

In Naples, we will take the train to Pompeii and meet a small tour through [email protected].  I found this through  Rick Steves' tour guide book and the price is 20 euros per person plus the 16 euro Pompeii admission fee. The tours get excellent reviews online and the groups are much smaller than the RC tours.  I understand that the train from Naples to Pompeii is a crowded crazy experience, but we wanted to have the option to stay a bit and explore Pompeii on our own after our tour ends.  We looked at a couple of other tour companies that take you by van/bus to Pompeii and then bring you back to Naples.  This would avoid the train travel.  We plan to take the train back to Naples and hopefully have time to grab a slice of pizza and take a quick tour of the Naples National Archaeological Museum, focusing on the Pompeii exhibits. 

Incredible stuff!! Enjoy

Thus far I did Oia on our own through RC however I like yours and am actually seeing what is available as I can cancel my excursions through RC easily - Santorini

Kusadasi - espheus (solo) my wife and daughter will meet me after my 3 hour trip and we will explore the port city on our own. 

Mykonos - booked Viator private car to Elia Beach and back

Naples - we are doing Capri on our own through RC. Since we only have 8 hours I wanted to enjoy the coastline and if we ever come back to Naples and stay longer ill go ahead and do pompei and vesuvius etc.

Barring any Crazy Weather we arrive a day and a half early from our Embarkment in Rome and then we will stay 3 days once we complete the cruise and I booked some skip the line tours through Viator.

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Odyssey of the Seas - July 16— 23, 2023 (7 Night Greek Isles Cruise)