Rome Pre-Cruise Hotel Suggestion for Family

Like many cities, it seems like most hotels are really just for 2. We're a family of 4, the 2 kids are older teens (boy and girl). We arrive in the morning, so looking for a hotel that either has early check in or will at least hold our luggage until our room is ready.

It would be good to be near the sites and/or train to the port. We'll have 2 nights before the cruise.

Check out the Hotel Lancelot. They have some family rooms. It's a 5-minute walk to the Colosseum and abiut 15-20 from the centre. We stayed there pre-cruise last year and found them to be very helpful. Book direct for best rates. They will definitely hold your luggage until your room is ready but pretty much any hotel will do that. Their website has tons of useful information.

https://www.lancelothotel.com/

I have planned 3 cruises to or from Rome and all of them have been cancelled because of Covid or ship changes.  One of these days I will get there.  After hours of planning the hotel, I was going to stay at was Hotel Golden.  It is a small family ran hotel where momma cooks your breakfast.  Hotel near Spanish Steps | Hotel Golden Official Site (hotelgoldenrome.com)

Note:  Here is my google maps of things I wanted to see.  Rome - Google Maps

Termini station is pretty accessible in Rome as Rome is a very walkable city.  That’s the station you’re likely to take a train to civitavecchia.   I will forewarn you, be very very careful of pick pockets and thieves there.  A purse was grabbed out of a woman’s hand in broad daylight by a man on foot.  We like staying in the piazza where the pantheon is.   There’s a lot of people watching there and it’s a short walk north to Vatican City.  Don’t eat in squares.  Ask a hotel person to send you to a traditional family restaurant on the back streets.  You won’t be sorry.