Best Shore Excursions in New Zealand?

Bubbleman7

Hi All,

I'm Soloing an 11 night cruise next January on Ovation of the seas 348 days to go and looking for recommendations on favorite shore excursions:

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA 
PICTON, NEW ZEALAND 
NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND 
WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND 
CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND 
DUNEDIN, NEW ZEALAND

The only thing I know for sure is that I'm doing the Weta Workshop tour in Wellington. 

I would love to hear from those that have traveled there before for suggestions?

Thanks 

Bill 

18 hours ago, Bubbleman7 said:

ChessE4,

Thanks for the tip. If I want to see the Weta Works should I book a separate tour not from the ship? Just curious on what you experienced.

Sorry, but we didn't do Weta Works.  We had some luck with Viator excursions in Australia after we disembarked at Sydney.  They are an alternative to RC excursions.

I have a lot of experience in some of these locations, but not on a cruise. Here's my thoughts:

• Sydney - if it's your first time there, don't do an excursion. Just walk around, hit the highlights (Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Botanic Garden, The Rocks, food and drink). 
  • Picton - if you're in to wine, find a half-day wine tour in the nearby Marlborough region. Lots of good wineries there. You may not have enough time, but the Mail Boat tours in Picton are fantastic (https://www.beachcombercruises.co.nz/scenic-cruises/mailboat-cruises/Mail-Boat-Cruise/). 
  • Wellington - you mention something already, but Wellington is another one of those "just walk around" places. Botanic Garden, Mount Victoria Lookout, Cable Car, Parliament, Te Papa Museum, Cuba Street, food and drink.

• 9 months later...

Hi Marylou,

Me too first time to the other side of the world and may not get back. It is getting close for me 59 days beofre the cruise and 56 till I leave.

I have locked down the tours. The only doing one from the Ship in Christchurch, It is an 8 hour off road tour in the mountains and a Jet boat down the Waimakariri Gorge.  Since I'm not a wine drinker in Picton I found a Viator cruise of the Marlborough Sounds. Though a comany called Shore Excursions I am doing a Hawks Bay Sinic tour, Lord of the Rings 8 hour tour in Wellington & in Dunedin a Larnach Castle, Peninsula and City tour.  Just doing the walkabout in Sydney as I am staying in The Rocks.(right by the harbout Bridge and the Opera House), before and after the cruise. I do have another Viator tour booked in Sydney. It is a Blue Mountans Tour to see the Three Sisters and a Wildlife Sancutary that is an all day tour. 

I will be back by mid Feb and will report if any of these were good, bad or amazing.