Cozumel Car rental overnight-- the good and bad

Suzanne Elise

So I was recently in port overnight in Cozumel on adventure of the seas.

We rented a car.  After looking at all the sites Emily's car rental stood out for the good reviews, cost, and communication. 

I booked them through facebook. They did not take a credit card before we arrived, go figure. I was super nervous about this. They do like to communicate through what'sapp, but text works too.

One thing to keep in mind is ship time and shore time. They were there at arrival time but we were not off the ship for another half hour plus which meant they had to return later.

The cost was very reasonable, 50 dollars total including taxes and insurance.(Plus gas) I wish we had arrived in daylight because it was a little tough finding our night snorkel location in the dark. Overnight parking near the port was VERY tricky too.  We booked the cheapest sedan but were given a small SUV. There are some very cute and colorful buggies and open air vehicles for rent from other companies, but when it rained BUCKETS we were glad to have a normal car.

The next day it was GREAT having a car. We could go to any beach, went up and down the BEAUTIFUL east "wild" side, found local places to eat, drove though town. There are free beaches but even if you want to go to a pay beach it's pretty reasonable on your own.  It was a little busy in town around 3 pm with lots of scooters, but especially if you want to explore the east side beaches it's very peaceful and easy to drive around. Considering the cost I think it's a great way to go.