GTY Balcony Reservation but Category Sold out

jdtsbaby

1 hour ago, jdtsbaby said:

Hi! New cruiser here. I have a GTY Balcony reservation and the neighborhood balcony’s are sold out for my sailing now. Does this mean I will get an ocean view balcony room? I ask because my Royal up has bids for ocean view balcony’s so I’m just confused. 

No. They may have blocked off a number of neighbourhood balcony rooms precisely to allocate to GTY bookings so it's possible they still have some available but they aren't showing available for sale.

With the Royal Up, you can often be invited to put in bids for room categories that are showing as sold out. This lets Royal have a waiting list (so to speak) of people who they can slot into a more expensive room if someone booked in a higher category cancels.

You have to be very careful about making a Royal Up bid if you have a GTY room. It's probably advisable to wait until you have an actual room allocation before bidding. This is because you may (highly unlikely but not entirely impossible) be allocated a room (e.g. a junior suite) that is better than the category you bid on (e.g. ocean view balcony) but because Royal Up is not run by Royal itself you could then "win" your bid and essentially be downgraded from the junior suite to the ocean view balcony and be charged for the privilege! 😬 (I hope I managed to explain that clearly.)