Would River Tubing be suitable for an elderly individual?

Umbrella_ellaellaey

Hello!

New to this blog (hope I posted this in the right section), but thought I would probably get a helpful answer from you guys.

I am going on a RC cruise this month (Rhapsody of the Seas) and I am currently deciding on an excursion for my family and I do to that will be enjoyable. One of the excursions that caught my eye was River Tubing in Dominica. I have never been tubing but I love anything to do with water so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. My mother also doesn't mind as we are both active individuals. However, my dad is a bit older (70+ years old), he also has a bit of a limp when walking and is not really keen on waking super far (he's good for about maybe 30-40 minutes but often needs access to a washroom as well). I don't know much about tubing but from what I have heard it seems that you sit in a river tube and float down a river. He likes water as well and I think he wouldn't mind this and it sounds relaxing (as long as we don't have to hike for 2+ hours to get to the river lol). But I have also heard that some rivers as more fast-flowing and rapid which worries me that this may not be suitable for him.

I was wondering if I could get some insight on this activity. Has anyone done this before? Is the river a fast or slow one? Is there a lot of walking in this excursion? How about washrooms? (I guess if there isn't really access to washrooms we could probably not drink too much before heading out, that would work haha). Are there opportunities to rest/relax for a bit. Thank you!

Welcome to the blog! You've found the exact right spot for answers and opinions all things Royal Caribbean. The "river" tubing excursions are a wonderful way to really see the real Dominica. Being one of the very few natural islands of the Caribbean (meaning: it has never had a volcanic history like so many of the others) you are in for a real treat of the harmonic balance of earth, water, plants, and animals. 

River tubing, and this is true for every Royal tubing excursion; is a misnomer. They really mean Creek Tubing. While there will be some Bottoms Up! areas, the depth of the water is generally going to be about waist deep. Being natural runoff, the water will be the rainfall from the previous couple days. It will be clear and cold. Everyone gets used to it quickly and the water temp is forgotten about. Is the water fast? While that largely depends on the the rainfall of the past few days, you'll find your trip quiet, peaceful, and serene. The fast portions you might find are only fast enough to make the trip fun. Your trip will be about an hour and a half of relaxation, sorta a Lazy Boy in the jungle.

There are a couple necessary things for tubing excursions. Number 1 being water shoes or a pair of old gym shoes. Shoes that fasten to your feet and have at least some type of hard sole. Flip flops and Crocs? Nah, you're likely to loose one or both on your trip. Number two, anything you bring with you like a camera or phone; has a 100% chance of getting wet and a 50% chance of being submerged. So take the right steps or make the right choices. Hint: Having some type of tether on your devices is a huge plus on tubing excursions. I think Royal needs to be more upfront about advising passengers about these absolutely necessary things BEFORE being on the excursion.

Can an older person do this? ABSOLUTELY!!!! If you and your family are doing this unique, unusual activity together; you'll find grandma and grandpa along every step of the way. 

Here is a photo of my trip in <gulp> 2014.

GOPR0402.JPG

Thank you for the insight! Will definitely keep this in mind when I discuss it with the family 😀

On 12/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, bobroo said:

Welcome to the blog! You've found the exact right spot for answers and opinions all things Royal Caribbean. The "river" tubing excursions are a wonderful way to really see the real Dominica. Being one of the very few natural islands of the Caribbean (meaning: it has never had a volcanic history like so many of the others) you are in for a real treat of the harmonic balance of earth, water, plants, and animals. 

River tubing, and this is true for every Royal tubing excursion; is a misnomer. They really mean Creek Tubing. While there will be some Bottoms Up! areas, the depth of the water is generally going to be about waist deep. Being natural runoff, the water will be the rainfall from the previous couple days. It will be clear and cold. Everyone gets used to it quickly and the water temp is forgotten about. Is the water fast? While that largely depends on the the rainfall of the past few days, you'll find your trip quiet, peaceful, and serene. The fast portions you might find are only fast enough to make the trip fun. Your trip will be about an hour and a half of relaxation, sorta a Lazy Boy in the jungle.

There are a couple necessary things for tubing excursions. Number 1 being water shoes or a pair of old gym shoes. Shoes that fasten to your feet and have at least some type of hard sole. Flip flops and Crocs? Nah, you're likely to loose one or both on your trip. Number two, anything you bring with you like a camera or phone; has a 100% chance of getting wet and a 50% chance of being submerged. So take the right steps or make the right choices. Hint: Having some type of tether on your devices is a huge plus on tubing excursions. I think Royal needs to be more upfront about advising passengers about these absolutely necessary things BEFORE being on the excursion.

Can an older person do this? ABSOLUTELY!!!! If you and your family are doing this unique, unusual activity together; you'll find grandma and grandpa along every step of the way. 

Here is a photo of my trip in <gulp> 2014.

GOPR0402.JPG