Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Mrs. Regular

Looking for opinions from those who have visited either one or both. I am actually not on a cruise but vacationing in Maya Riviera and I know both sites are options for cruise excursions. I can only pick one to go to and have always wanted to visit ruins on the Yucatan peninsula since I was really little. I've been to Tikal in Guatemala before and it was incredible. Thanks for any suggestions and pros and cons!

50 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Chichen Itza, hands down. Larger site, fewer tourists (not by a lot, but some fewer). Active center for many more years than Tulum was with a larger population. I enjoyed Tulum, but I loved Chichen Itza.

Only drawback to Chichen Itza is that it's a MUCH longer day. But having been to both, if it's the experience that's most important it's no contest.

47 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Only drawback to Chichen Itza is that it's a MUCH longer day. But having been to both, if it's the experience that's most important it's no contest.

Right, but if you're on a land-based vacation this doesn't matter -- I'd argue for specifically picking Chichen Itza in this case! 🙂 

I would love to go to Chichen Itza, but not on a Royal excursion from Cozumel -- too much travel time.  We just got back from Italy, and the tremendous crowds pretty much destroyed our two longest excursions.  I'd hate for you to have that experience on a cruise.  But as everyone has said, it is a more desirable destination.

• 1 month later...

So I have been to both. The key with CI is getting there early before the crowds if possible. I would have a cab get you there the moment it opens. You will have a good hour before it gets hot and crowded. Tulum is special in it's own way, you can go right from the ruins into the beach which is great.  The night before CI actually slept in valladolid.

For cruisers CI is really far, "Tulum seems like a more enjoyable day, but if you are on a land vacation CI and the area around it is a great destination that really stands out in my memory even 15 years later.

1. If you are on a non cruise vacation I highly suggest CI not just for the site but for the fact that you can visit a colonial city and really get into the heart of the area. I remember really liking the food and town of Valladolid.  Also I guess they have a light show at night now. I also went to a cenote in that area too.
  2. If you are on a cruise then Tulum is perfect, it's smaller but the beach is a real plus, and there are a lot of cenotes too.
  3. Both places have plenty of guides who you can hire for a small amount of money, or at least thats how I remember it in 2005.
  4. Again this may not be practical from a ship, but the best tip I got was to get there early in a cab before the heat and crowds. It probably won't cost much more than an organized tour.