Kuala Lumpur On Your Own

Dieter de Wit

Hello everyone, 

I have been struggling finding some information about a shore excursion we want to take with my wife. It is the Kuala Lumpur On Your Own. We want to take this one for two reasons, first, we don't want to rely on a group and having specific time set to visit certain places; second, we don't want to rely on a taxi service from Port Klang to Kuala Lumpur.

The only problem is that we are on port 10 hours, and the excursion says its only 7 hours. The drive from Klang to KL takes about 1.5 hours, so we wanted to know if the ride time was included in those 7 hours? If the travel time is included in the 7 hours that leaves us about 4 hours to explore the whole city. 

Do you know if travel time is included in the time that Royal Caribbean gives? 

Many thanks for your help!

image.png.2d1fff26dfb38e88ad2ebd8373fb3c45.png

6 hours ago, Dieter de Wit said:

Hello everyone, 

I have been struggling finding some information about a shore excursion we want to take with my wife. It is the Kuala Lumpur On Your Own. We want to take this one for two reasons, first, we don't want to rely on a group and having specific time set to visit certain places; second, we don't want to rely on a taxi service from Port Klang to Kuala Lumpur.

The only problem is that we are on port 10 hours, and the excursion says its only 7 hours. The drive from Klang to KL takes about 1.5 hours, so we wanted to know if the ride time was included in those 7 hours? If the travel time is included in the 7 hours that leaves us about 4 hours to explore the whole city. 

Do you know if travel time is included in the time that Royal Caribbean gives? 

Many thanks for your help!

image.png.2d1fff26dfb38e88ad2ebd8373fb3c45.png

It may not take quite 1.5 hours to get from Port Klang to KL, but of course it depends on traffic. Even five hours in Kuala Lumpur isn't much. I would absolutely prioritize your top one or two sites, and a place near them for some good local food, and call anything on top of that a win.

21 hours ago, Zacharius said:

It may not take quite 1.5 hours to get from Port Klang to KL, but of course it depends on traffic. Even five hours in Kuala Lumpur isn't much. I would absolutely prioritize your top one or two sites, and a place near them for some good local food, and call anything on top of that a win.

Yeah, the excursion says 1.5 hours traveling. It might be 45min each way. 

We were trying to maximize the time in Kuala Lumpur, but taking this or any tour from RC takes too much time as they only last 7 out of the 10 hours on port. I have seen a lot of people that advise contacting a good rated taxi service (Trip Advisor mostly) that will take you from Port Klang to KC and back, even some will take you around the city. 

Has someone taken or would advise in favour or against of this approach?  

1 hour ago, Dieter de Wit said:

Yeah, the excursion says 1.5 hours traveling. It might be 45min each way. 

We were trying to maximize the time in Kuala Lumpur, but taking this or any tour from RC takes too much time as they only last 7 out of the 10 hours on port. I have seen a lot of people that advise contacting a good rated taxi service (Trip Advisor mostly) that will take you from Port Klang to KC and back, even some will take you around the city. 

Has someone taken or would advise in favour or against of this approach?  

I think it will be more than 45 minutes...looks like Google Maps is saying 45 minutes right now, which is the middle of the night. So during the day, in KL traffic, with a bus, it will be slower. I am just not sure if it will be 1.5 hours. 

Anywho, while I haven't done the private transportation thing at KL, I have in other places from the port, and do recommend it. Definitely do research, maybe try to set something up ahead of time (even if it costs a bit more), but it's worth it. Once you get in to KL, you also have the hop on/hop off busses which are a great way to see a new city in a relatively short amount of time.