Alaska

Room location recomendation on the Ovation for an Alaska cruise? Specifically should you avoid the very back of the ship? On the Ovation? Does the fitness center have views and if yes good ones? Are the common areas keep comfortable? Too hot or cold? Does it get cold enought that you have to be concerned aboOr are there ares wherut ice on the outside decks? Or are there arteas that are heated? Are suite balconys heated? Is the pool in the Solarium heated? Assume the Solarium itself is heated? Do the black out curtains work well? Any additional suggestions to assist the black out effort. 

As someone who isn't impacted by motion on a ship I love the aft of the ship.  Unfortunately Ovation doesn't have any regular non-suite cabins with aft views. 

The fitness center does have forward views that are great while at sea.  There is some of the ship in front of the fitness center so the forward views are not of the bow with full forward views but there are large windows on the front and sides of the fitness center.

Common areas inside the ship are typically t-shirt comfortable for me.  I never need a jacket or sweater inside the ship.    If you are cold in a shopping mall on land you might be cold on a ship.

Typical summer time low temperatures are above freezing at all times so there usually won't be any ice or snow on the outer decks.  It does rain often in Alaska and when you combine rain with cold temperatures and wind exposed skin can get cold but not frostbite cold.  In the wind I wear a hat and gloves in Alaska.  On a sunny day with no wind it's quite pleasant.

Balconies are not heated.  

The solarium is an enclosed space with no openings so it tends to be warm and humid.  The pools are heated including the outdoor pool but the outdoor pool is only open when temperatures are above 50°F if I recall correctly.  The indoor pools including the solarium pool are heated but not to the point of feeling like a hot tub or a bath.  Hot tubs are hot, pools are in the 70's I think.  

We got off of the Ovation on May 20th.  We had a Grand Loft Suite and the views were fantastic.  HOWEVER, you don't see what's coming if you are in an inner suite.  So, if you really want to see what's coming and get ready to take good pictures/video of a particular scene, you'd be better off on an outside upper deck so you can move from one side of the ship to the other and see things coming.  But, the suites is really fantastic.