First Time Cruiser Questions

Hi everyone! 
Our family will be going on the Gradeur of the Seas in August leaving out of Galveston for a 4 night cruise and we are first time cruisers with a 10 y/o and a 4 y/o. 

I am one of those people that do not like the unknown and the fact that I don’t know what to expect on a cruise is killing me! 

I would seriously appreciate if anyone could answer some of my questions and give me tips/hacks! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

DEPARTURE:

1) What should I expect on the day of departure when first arriving to terminal?

2) Will I you need ID and birthday certificate? 

GENERAL:

3) Any tips and hacks for the cruise? 

4) Am I able to sneak liquor on the boat in our bags? I have sunscreen flasks, would they work or do they check for those kinds of things?

5) Does cell service work on the ship? We have AT&T

6) Do I need a power outlet adapter or are the outlets in the staterooms equipped with regular outlets? Are multi plug outlets/strips allowed?

7) Are we able to have coffee or tea in the morning in the rooms? Like is there a small coffee pot in the room?

😎 Do they provide shampoo, conditioner, soap?

9) Is there a laundry area on the boat that someone is able to use?

10) What is allowed to be brought in a ship and what is not allowed?

SHORE EXCURSIONS:

11) In Cozumel, is there a decent priced excursion that is just relaxing on the beach and good for kids to play in the sand or snorkel? Preferably nothing too far of a taxi ride away either. 

15 hours ago, R. Krale said:

Will I you need ID and birthday certificate? 

Yes, you need to go through customs

What should I expect on the day of departure when first arriving to terminal?

Any tips and hacks for the cruise? 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-tips-tricks

Am I able to sneak liquor on the boat in our bags? I have sunscreen flasks, would they work or do they check for those kinds of things?

No, it's against the rules which in and of itself is reason enough not to do it. Buy a drink package if you want to drink a lot.

Does cell service work on the ship? We have AT&T

No, put your phone into airplane mode or you'll come home with a massive roaming bill

Are multi plug outlets/strips allowed?

No. Bring a USB hub instead

Are we able to have coffee or tea in the morning in the rooms? Like is there a small coffee pot in the room?

No coffee pot, but you can either order room service or get coffee from the ship and bring it back to your room

Is there a laundry area on the boat that someone is able to use?

No self service laundry. There is dry cleaning ,which has a cost

What is allowed to be brought in a ship and what is not allowed?

In Cozumel, is there a decent priced excursion that is just relaxing on the beach and good for kids to play in the sand or snorkel? Preferably nothing too far of a taxi ride away either. 

1) Try for an early check-in and arrive at the terminal on time or a little early to limit the lines you'll be in. There will be porters to take your luggage (be sure to have a couple $ to tip) so be sure to tag everything the night before. Keep your paperwork, ID and, e.g., a backpack or carry on with items you will need, as your luggage might not arrive at your room until dinnertime.  RC usually does a good job of moving everyone along - you will go through security including an X-Ray just like at the airport, then wait in line to check in.

2) Passport or ID and birth certificate is required, yes. 

3) Bring a few magnets and a pad of paper and pen for leaving notes to each other.  Also a nightlight for the cabin is really helpful. Pack the kids' swimsuits in your carry on so they can go right to the pool. 

4) Eh, mixed results. You can (legally) bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin, as well as a 12-pack of soda under 16 ounces per can/bottle (BE SURE to have this in your carry-on to go through the X-ray. If you pack it in your checked luggage you will have to fetch it. NOTE: the folks at security do not confirm cabin when you bring your 2 bottles through, so won't know if you and one kid go through and your husband and other kid go through with 4 bottles total. I have also heard *cough* that saline solution bottles filled with vodka work really well, especially if packed in your checked luggage with contact lenses.

5) Depends on where you are. Most ports you can pick up service but on ship out to sea? Not likely. 

6) there are regular US power outlets but often only a couple per cabin. You cannot bring power strips on board but ask your cabin steward if you need an extra.

7) Continental breakfast room service is free - you can order coffee or tea and pastries each morning to relax with. Tip the delivery guy $1 or $2 if you can.

8 Soap as well as body wash/shampoo provided.

9) No guest laundry unless you pay for it, but the shower has a small clothes line for drying bathing suits and will also work for socks, undies etc. I use the body wash and the bathroom sink and it works just fine. 

10) big long list so I will defer to others here for recommendations...

11) There are a few options for beach clubs that are an easy taxi drive away - let me check my cruise notes from a couple years ago and see if I can find the best one.