Accessible excursions in Eastern Caribbean

sloppyjoe328

Hello all,

My family and I are taking our first RC cruise in September(we have sailed twice with Disney before). We will be going to St. Martin, Labadee, Haiti, and San Juan. Does anybody know of any accessible excursions? My son is 18 with Cerebral Palsy. He is ambulatory, but requires assistance transferring from his wheelchair/scooter. He wants to ride the Dragons Tail Coaster in Labadee, but we are unsure if you must climb stairs to get on. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Amber

Hi Amber,

If you go to the Royal Caribbean web site and use their Excursions page, after filtering to your cruise date and ship, you'll be given a list of all the available excursions. Below the name of each excursion you'll see one or more icons that indicate the amount of movement / exertion required (ranging from "none" for rides like a bus tour to "heavy" for an off-trail hiking trip). I believe when I was looking at the list that I also saw a wheelchair icon for those with full disabilities / accessibility requirements.

For St. Maarten, there is an excursion named "Accessible St. Maarten" with code SMF6. That excursion was 3 hours long and costs $89 per person, and as I recall was one of those specifically marked with the wheelchair icon. It's on our list of possible excursion options when we're there in 2018, as I have mobility issues of my own, though not as severe as your son's. I totally understand the need to find excursions that everyone can enjoy, not just the fully ambulatory.  :)

How well will your son be able to operate a hand brake on the Dragon's Tail Coaster? That is the only mechanism to slow the ride, and from watching videos on YouTube, I've seen there is a spot where you are required to apply the hand brake and slow down to avoid possibly hitting and injuring people in front of you reaching the end of the ride. He'd also want to be able to apply the brake if he felt the ride was getting uncomfortably fast, as it can reach a little over 30 mph and has some slightly sharp curves.

Hi Amber,

If you go to the Royal Caribbean web site and use their Excursions page, after filtering to your cruise date and ship, you'll be given a list of all the available excursions. Below the name of each excursion you'll see one or more icons that indicate the amount of movement / exertion required (ranging from "none" for rides like a bus tour to "heavy" for an off-trail hiking trip). I believe when I was looking at the list that I also saw a wheelchair icon for those with full disabilities / accessibility requirements.

For St. Maarten, there is an excursion named "Accessible St. Maarten" with code SMF6. That excursion was 3 hours long and costs $89 per person, and as I recall was one of those specifically marked with the wheelchair icon. It's on our list of possible excursion options when we're there in 2018, as I have mobility issues of my own, though not as severe as your son's. I totally understand the need to find excursions that everyone can enjoy, not just the fully ambulatory. :)

How well will your son be able to operate a hand brake on the Dragon's Tail Coaster? That is the only mechanism to slow the ride, and from watching videos on YouTube, I've seen there is a spot where you are required to apply the hand brake and slow down to avoid possibly hitting and injuring people in front of you reaching the end of the ride. He'd also want to be able to apply the brake if he felt the ride was getting uncomfortably fast, as it can reach a little over 30 mph and has some slightly sharp curves.

Hi, thank you for the great info. I don't think he will be comfortable controlling the cart on his own. I saw where 2 people are able ride at one time, is this possible?

As I recall, riding double is only an option for children under 13. There may also be height restrictions on that. But this is one where I'd suggest calling Royal Caribbean or your travel agent and asking them for confirmation, as it's a special case and they might grant an exception if your son is over any age or height limit.