RCI insurance-refund

Does anyone have experience with Royal's trip insurance? I had to cancel my cruise 2 days prior to sailing. My fiance had a major panic attack at the airport. His mother also had an unexpected surgery that day.I had the stomach flu in the days leading up to this. Needless to say, I was pretty upset about the whole thing. I should be on my way to Mexico, but here I am.

Has anyone had success in getting some money back from RCI? My TA cancelled the cruise and stated I should get a minimum amount back and that we will file a claim tomorrow. I did not book my flights with RC. I'm out the money there as I was to fly Delta. I will be stuck paying for 1 night hotel as I needed to cancel 24 hours prior.

I just read from a group on Facebook that it took someone 8 months!

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is file the claim based on the unexpected surgery of the family member.  Most travel insurance policies don't cover panic attacks or anything else of a "psychological/psychiatric" nature.  You're also correct that it will only cover your cruise portion, not the other expenses, which might be a reason to purchase insurance through a third party next time.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Royal's policy, but I did have to file a claim through another insurer and it did take weeks and a lot of follow-up that required sending documentation.  I can't imagine that it takes 8 months, though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm hoping to get at least 50% back. I'm out the airfare but that's ok. I did book insurance with royal when I initially booked! Thankful I did!

I hope we can get past this too. He has a fear of flying, but there are medications to help.

I would have gone by myself if I knew someone from periscope would have been there or if it was the group cruise! I look very young for my age and thought in terms of my safety and having someone I could go to if needed.

I'll keep everyone posted with using RC insurance.

See you in periscope!

Best of luck, Meg.

You should get more than 50% back.  In addition, you might have some value with the tickets, minus a change fee, if you actually cancelled the flights. It may be too late now, but when I called United when I had to have my appendix removed hours before my flight, but only called them a few minutes before departure, they waived all but a $50 change fee per ticket.  The hotel did the same thing thanks to my TA.

Make a call to the airline and hotel and explain your situation.  All you have to lose is your time.  The worst they can say is no.

Best of luck, Meg.

You should get more than 50% back.  In addition, you might have some value with the tickets, minus a change fee, if you actually cancelled the flights. It may be too late now, but when I called United when I had to have my appendix removed hours before my flight, but only called them a few minutes before departure, they waived all but a $50 change fee per ticket.  The hotel did the same thing thanks to my TA.

Make a call to the airline and hotel and explain your situation.  All you have to lose is your time.  The worst they can say is no.

I called Delta and explained the situation. I told them about my fiancé's mother having surgery. They asked for her name and hospital of the surgery. I am able to use the funds until Sept with no change fee. I initiated the claim information. It takes a couple days for them to send you the claim form. I already have some money credited to my credit card that my travel agent was able to take care of. I will keep posting. Now where should I fly to? :)

I called Delta and explained the situation. I told them about my fiancé's mother having surgery. They asked for her name and hospital of the surgery. I am able to use the funds until Sept with no change fee. I initiated the claim information. It takes a couple days for them to send you the claim form. I already have some money credited to my credit card that my travel agent was able to take care of. I will keep posting. Now where should I fly to? :)

I'm glad to hear Delta cane through for you. There's a big meet up in March in NYC. Just saying!

I'm glad to hear Delta cane through for you. There's a big meet up in March in NYC. Just saying!

Wish I could, but I' have a conference for work in March in Chicago, then I'm going to opening week in April in Chicago! Maybe Vegas in the summer, maybe, and maybe getting married in November.

On a side note, I believe I may have to use the norovirus excuse. I think that my fiancé's mother condition is pre-existing. She had a massive stroke 8 years ago. in 2016 she developed an infection in a bone flap in her skull. She has had 9 surgeries since and one of those was last week to take out a tissue expander and close the wound-it was unexpected in that they didn't expect to do it then.

Hmm...