Vegan options (no dairy, no meat)

JenL11

Hi Jen,

First off, welcome to the site!

Generally speaking, I've found Royal Caribbean to be very accommodating.  Of course, like anything in life, there is always a little bit of luck involved.  I'll give you a few quick tips based on what I've found as a vegetarian (lacto/ovo) and cruiser.

-Have your travel agent note on your reservation that someone in your party has special dietary requirements

-Even if you're skipping the MDR the first night, speak with your head waiter and let him/her know your (well, your daughter's) needs (they can annotate your reservation so that it's seen in specialty restaurants too)

-Be clear, not only in what is acceptable, but what she *wants*

-Relating to above, don't just say vegan if she wants to eat fish - as you know, vegan = no animal products at all

-Be sure to mention that while part of this is preference, she does have a dairy intolerance.  This will lead them to be all the more cautious in terms of cross-contamination and such

Last note - If you don't feel someone is being helpful enough or understanding the nature of your request, ask someone else.  For example, most any of the dining staff will be understanding and helpful, but vegetarianism and veganism is much more prevalent in some cultures, so if I have the option, I'll always look for an Indian crew member in the dining area that might be able to help me out, as India has a very large vegan and vegetarian population (also jain, another set of criteria).

We've dined in Izumi, Johnny Rockets, Giovanni's Table, and Sabor and have always had plenty of options - more than what is just indicated as vegan/vegetarian on the menus).  Ohh, and we've found that for the largest variety of options the Windjammer at dinner is a winner - far more options than during the day, but again, the specialty venues and MDR can work with you.  In fact, we usually request a vegetarian Indian dish (or two) every night in the MDR in addition to whatever else might be on the menu (there are other options of course, we just love Indian cuisine).

As monorailmedic (Billy) said, Royal is very accommodating with dietary needs.  A little bit of conversation will go a long way.  I traveled this last cruise gluten-free (by choice) to support a family member with celiac and found the ship to be very good overall, although I thought the desserts were lacking (minor complaint).  I also found the specialty restaurants better able to accommodate dietary requests "on the fly" than the main dining room, which needed much more lead time as the items there aren't made to order like in the specialty restaurants.

If you do dine in the Windjammer, seek out the Executive Sous Chef.  S/he is always visible (if not, ask) and s/he will walk you around the buffet identifying all of the items and their ingredients.