Cupcake Classes

nandjas

Hi All!

I have two girls ages 9 and 11 that will be with us on Oasis this spring.  The cupcake decorating classes just came up in our cruise planner as an activity to book.  I think that they would have fun doing this, as they love to help me bake at home.  I see that there is a "kids class" that is ages 5 and under, so they obviously don't qualify.  The "adults class" is listed as ages 6 and up, but I'm wondering if it is appropriate for all ages or if it will be over their head in terms of technique and content.  If I am to pay $30 for each of them, I'd like to be sure that they can participate!   ;) Also, what do they do?  Just decorate one cupcake? Would I need to pay as well, or can I take them there and observe and take pictures without paying?  Thanks for your help!  This is our first RCL cruise and I want to find some special things for my girlies to do!

My wife and daughter did this together on Liberty earlier this year. The online booking was wonky for us and they apparently haven't fixed the problem. My daughter was 10 and I think they did the "kids class" and had lots of fun. If I'm remembering correctly, Cruise Planner on the website wouldn't let us book our daughter for either of the classes because she was too old for one and too young for the other. When my wife called to sort it out, I think they said the kids class was supposed to be 5 and over, not under. I'd call them regardless to make sure you get the right one.

They did two cupcakes each, and decorated them with icing and other edible extras to turn them into things like a frog or a lion (click for image). Ends up being a couple of expensive cupcakes for sure, but they had fun and it was a memorable experience -- no regrets on doing it, but once will probably be enough. I don't think there would be any issue with you observing without paying -- I poked my head in while it was going on.

My son decorated the same cupcakes on the Liberty last year. The adult class leads to much more intricate decorating including a fog face based on pictures I've seen. We also had you sign a form saying the cupcakes would be eaten within a few hours or disposed of.