Reasonable travel agent response time?

cookingyo

I normally handle ALL my travel plans, but for 1 cruise I am trying the process through a travel agent.  I am an e-mail guy and not really a phone person with the exception of relaying payment information. I normally respond to text and e-mails withing minutes.  So when I request a quote via e-mail on an item, like flights, what is a reasonable expectation for a return e-mail, or at least an acknowledgement? Minutes, Hours, Days?  I basically told the TA the airline and the flights I wanted.  I could of just booked the flights and saved $116. Now the last of the cheaper seats were sold while waiting for this agent to get back to me.  Heck I could of booked flights through RCL Air 2 Sea and still saved some $$.  I am trying to let go and let someone else handle everything for this one particular trip.  So far I am not enjoying the TA process.

I know IF there was a problem during the trip, this is the person I am trusting to make things right.  I'm just not getting a good vibe with this Travel Agent.  Normally what is the process of getting a new agent within the same agency?  Any help would be appreciated.  I guess I am looking for a for a bull dog who will check for price changes at least once during sales and who is tech friendly and will get back to me the same day via e-mail.  Some one who understands if I call via phone that I am either giving them money or there is a problem that I need to be resolved ASAP.

I think 24-48 hours is reasonable as they are dealing with lots of customers. I will say that I switched to an MEI agent, who sponsors this site, mainly because I want happy with the response time nor handling of an issue I had with my Royal sailing last January. I have been more than pleased with MEI and Michelle's response time.

Regarding airfare, I never book that with the TA, so I can't comment there.

I generally agree with what Kris said.  I think it is also important to talk to a potential TA about this exact question.  When you contact them about booking a trip, ask them what they think is a reasonable turn around time for certain scenarios: putting a deposit down, changing a name, etc.  The key is to find a TA that works well with you.