What happens if you arrive late for your check-in window?

At Sea

I understand that you don't want to arrive more than 15 minutes early for your check-in time since you'll likely just end up waiting.  However, can anyone chime in with their experience of arriving late?  In other words, if you arrive later than your scheduled arrival window, do you have to wait longer than normal to get on the ship?  I'm just curious what people have actually experienced by arriving late.

I can only related my anecdotal experience.  We arrived 25 minutes late for check in window in Nassau over the summer because our flight was a little delayed.

When we arrived the hotel for check in we were told to go right up and do check in.

It is probably different per port since when we sailed over christmas out of Bayonne there was just a long line outside of people waiting to be let into the building with no way to tell who had what time....luckily we were in Star so Genie took us right through without any waiting for us.

Where are you departing from?

Another anecdotal experience:

Last September, cruising out of Seattle, showed up 4 minutes late and the guy in the porter area directed us to the long line outside the terminal.  My wife asked the lady at the terminal entrance about it, she directed us to come in immediately.   This might had something to do with my elderly father being with us.

I would try not to be late either.