Moving child between cabins due to possible no show

Hi- looking for veteran cruiser guidance.

I have a multi-family trip coming up in December on SOTS, but one cruiser may end up not being able to go.  That cruiser is a grandparent who was booked on paper with one of her grandkids (child’s mom is in nearby cabin with 1 child already).  If the grandma can’t travel, should I wait until much closer to move that child to become a 3rd person in her Mom’s cabin and then seek to cancel the grandma’s booking? Not sure if there is benefit to moving the child now since check-in is coming up soon.

Also, I thought I read that refunds might be a possibility once protocols are announced for a sailing. Has anyone been refunded?  Due to grandparent health we would prefer to get refund instead of FCC so wasn’t sure it it made sense to wait until protocols are announced to cancel her.

Thanks all!

Andy B

4 minutes ago, Andy of the Seas said:

If the grandma can’t travel, should I wait until much closer to move that child to become a 3rd person in her Mom’s cabin and then seek to cancel the grandma’s booking? Not sure if there is benefit to moving the child now since check-in is coming up soon.

Swapping names (as long as one name from the original reservation remains the same) is easy. But removing or adding someone to the reservation (where the guest count in the room changes) can inflict price changes. So I'd do that sooner than later.

5 minutes ago, Andy of the Seas said:

I thought I read that refunds might be a possibility once protocols are announced for a sailing.

For someone booked, that has been the case. I did not see that language for November protocols, but that doesn't mean it's not still a possibility.