Photo Packages

While listening to this week's podcasts (become an Insider, you get them a day early), I became curious about the different photo packages offered on board. Usually we will select a few photos and pay a la carter for them at the end of the cruise. I looked up what was offered for the Freedom of the Seas group cruise. A few thoughts:

1) The photos are handled though an outside company. If you book beforehand, you'll be using a credit card. If you buy photos on board, it will be charged to your Seapass account, so you could use OBC towards the cost of your photos.

2) They offer different packages for the digital downloads. Here's how it breaks down for this particular cruise:

- 10 photo downloads: $174.99 ($17.50 per photo)

- 15 photo downloads: $249.95 ($16.63 per photo)

- Unlimited photo downloads: $299.99

- Unlimited photo downloads + prints: $399.99

Not sure what the prints include, but $100 worth of prints goes a long way on something like shutterfly.

I'm not sure the digital photos are that much of a discount because you'll still spend a couple of bucks printing a decent quality 5x7 or 8x10.

On the cruise for the first first days the Unlimited photo downloads + prints that is  $399.99 will be offered with a $50.00 discount. So that makes it only $50 more. It is a good deal if you really use the package. By that I mean you have 5 or  photos taken at every photo station,  inside the dinning room every night, port stops etc. Also do photos at all formal nights, if you really want to push it do early photos and late photos on formal night. So by the time the cruise is over you have 200 to 250 plus photos. The $350 package with 250 photos is now $1.40 per print.

I have no choice on any cruise Reynaline say "Honey my photo package" and that is it no choice for me.

We also have just bought a few a la cart photos in the past. This cruise we plan to get the photo package since my nephew is coming with us. For comparison here is what is offered on the photographer's website for our 5 day Anthem cruise next week:

- Individual photos are $21.00 each

- 10 photo downloads: $174.99 ($17.50 per photo)
- Unlimited photo downloads: $249.99 (break even at 12 pictures)

No option for printed pictures.