Entertainment on Harmony of the Seas

FatimaS

First let me say, I enjoyed all the shows. The entertainers were amazingly talented. The actor who plays Kenickie in Grease is phenomenal. But I found some parts tasteless. The choreography on Grease and Columbus seemed to say, "Hey everybody, we have crotches!" An example:  In Grease Rizzo grinds an album to her crotch while she lies on her back, legs spread. The look on my teens' faces was shock. In Columbus the men literally have an exaggerated pouch in front. Why? I guess to be funny? The obsession with this area was cheap and vulgar.

The Ice Skating Show was again populated with great talent. But why did they feel the need to have two male skaters dress as and parody women? The plot was overall thin and there was no reason, that I could see, for this. Would black face be funny too?

The comic water show (not The Fine Line, the other one) was the perfect opportunity to parody all the "serious" shows. The serious shows have little to no story, even Grease (the take away is, if you can't get your man being you, change).  But, alas, the comic show was boring, although again incredible talent is on display. Years ago there was a show at Sea World called "Relieve" which was a parody of the show, "Believe." It was hilarious, because for all the pretension about the big shows, really the plot is usually sparse at best, and delivers a bad message at worst. So, a little honest self-reflection and parody of these shows would go far for RC.

The two comedians were funny, although both were funnier when they did the "family" show which just proved that every other word doesn't have to be an F-bomb. The second gentleman who joked about cruising was funnier, probably because he was poking fun at things we were all experiencing. 

The headliner was the best show. It was a band out of Tennessee, I believe, and the lead singer poked fun at famous singers while crooning their songs. The guitar player and violin player were great. It was fun and entertaining, without being crass.

Edited by FatimaS
misspelled word

1 hour ago, FatimaS said:

First let me say, I enjoyed all the shows. The entertainers were amazingly talented. The actor who plays Kenickie in Grease is phenomenal. But I found some parts tasteless. The choreography on Grease and Columbus seemed to say, "Hey everybody, we have crotches!" An example:  In Grease Rizzo grinds an album to her crotch while she lies on her back, legs spread. The look on my teens' faces was shock. In Columbus the men literally have an exaggerated pouch in front. Why? I guess to be funny? The obsession with this area was cheap and vulgar.

The Ice Skating Show was again populated with great talent. But why did they feel the need to have two male skaters dress as and parody women? The plot was overall thin and there was no reason, that I could see, for this. Would black face be funny too?

The comic water show (not The Fine Line, the other one) was the perfect opportunity to parody all the "serious" shows. The serious shows have little to no story, even Grease (the take away is, if you can't get your man being you, change).  But, alas, the comic show was boring, although again incredible talent is on display. Years ago there was a show at Sea World called "Relieve" which was a parody of the show, "Believe." It was hilarious, because for all the pretension about the big shows, really the plot is usually sparse at best, and delivers a bad message at worst. So, a little honest self-reflection and parody of these shows would go far for RC.

The two comedians were funny, although both were funnier when they did the "family" show which just proved that every other word doesn't have to be an F-bomb. The second gentleman who joked about cruising was funnier, probably because he was poking fun at things we were all experiencing. 

The headliner was the best show. It was a band out of Tennessee, I believe, and the lead singer poked fun at famous singers while crooning their songs. The guitar player and violin player were great. It was fun and entertaining, without being crass.

On the whole, I agree the shows are a little odd, but I find myself admiring the singing, the skating, and the incredible maneuvers the ship in Columbus makes.  I didn't worry much about anything else.  I actually prefer the production shows on smaller ships.  That said, the cast often performs their songs in more intimate settings, such as Central Park or the Jazz lounge.  So one could actually skip the scheduled shows and listen to the performers in other venues, most of which we found fantastic.   But I agree with you, I was not fond of the show plots.