Port Everglades Car Rental

Beachlovers4

Welcome to the message boards!

Unsure why they have low marks but many if not all the "normal" rental companies have shuttle buses to their closest base outside of the port.  I've used Hertz.  It's in a hotel just outside of the port.  Like many of them it's a small office not designed for a sudden influx of several hundred people looking for a car.  They won't build a massive airport type rental center because 99% of the time (like all other days in the week) the place would be empty.  

In that sense the $15 ride to the airport would be a safer bet but then you have to get yourself to the airport.  Airports have planes arriving hourly all day long so they build bigger rental centers there. 

I agree with @twangster, the best part of renting at the airport is you get more efficient service and a wider variety of (cleaner) cars.

And not sure which marks you're referring to, but as long as it's a major car rental brand (National, Enterprise, Avis, Budget, et al), I think you're fine to rent.  I stay away from the no-name companies, like Fox or others.