New! please help me out!

cjappert

Hi!

So we are new to cruising. We've done 1 cruise a month ago with celebrity cruises, concierge class. It was amazing, the only issue was that there was no daycare for our 16 month old... which is what brought us to RCCL.

here are some of my questions

1,We are a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids ages 8, 3 and 15 months. We just put a deposit on a cruise with RCCL for next January but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Its the 12 nights southern Caribbean on anthem of the seas. Does this ship have any rooms that holds 5 other than the suites? Right now I have 2 connecting rooms booked, but I would love to have everyone in 1 room!

2.Do they ever have better promotions? it seems like they aren't offering much compared to the other companies. Do they ever have the pick1, pick2 type of deals? and if they do would we be able to apply them to our reservation?

3. We are sailing out of NJ, which is amazing since we're Canadian and its only a 6 hour drive vs the 26 hour drive we usually do to Florida! How long does it usually take to reach "warm" weather from NJ? Should I be cutting out the 1st and 2nd sea days as too cold?

that's all I can think of right now...tia!

I can answer one of those... Number 2.  There are FAR better deals out there to be had with RCCL.  Not so much on any of the Quantum Class ships such as Anthem.  They are the latest and greatest of any ships in the world, and therefore the prices are priced as such.  You will definitely NOT be disappointed with that ship in any aspect.  My suggestion, though, would be to look at the freedom class of ships. Freedom, Liberty, and Independence.  Still amazing ships with a ton of stuff to offer an entire family including child care, but with prices drastically cheaper than on Anthem.  There are also family staterooms that can accommodate 5 people easily.  

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/01/30/photo-tour-of-royal-caribbean-larger-panoramic-ocean-view-stateroom-freedom-of-the-seas

Here is a link of a recent blog post about some larger amazing rooms that could be found on Freedom or Liberty.  There are a few different categories but if you called RCCL they could get you into the right one.  I believe they are called family panoramic ocean view on that class ship. Stateroom category PF.  The blog review was of a "large" panoramic ocean view which is similar but not quite.  The family one has a set of bunk beds in a closet type room and a second half bath.  Stateroom 1804 is one of family cabins on deck 12.

It would involve flying though, instead of driving obviously, which you could do if you sailed on anthem. Or the long drive to FL that you mentioned. Extra cost, but if I had to guess, it would still be much cheaper than sailing on Anthem haha.  Hope this was at least a slight help.

2.Do they ever have better promotions? it seems like they aren't offering much compared to the other companies. Do they ever have the pick1, pick2 type of deals? and if they do would we be able to apply them to our reservation?

The current BOGO deals are more about money off the cruise fare (50% off second guest) than other companies that charge you full fare and then give you some sort of amenity for "free".

3. We are sailing out of NJ, which is amazing since we're Canadian and its only a 6 hour drive vs the 26 hour drive we usually do to Florida! How long does it usually take to reach "warm" weather from NJ? Should I be cutting out the 1st and 2nd sea days as too cold?

By second night you will start feeling the warmth (assuming it's warm in the Carolinas)

You could do back to back cruises to achieve a 2 week cruise experience.

Just to add to what Matt suggested, many ships alternate their itineraries from week to week, so you'd end up visiting different ports each week. Some even change ships, but that takes a lot more planning.