Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island post-cruise

Silligan

Hello! My husband and I are cruising on Anthem next month.  I grew up about an hour and a half from the port, so as a child I frequently visited NYC, did the Statue of Liberty, etc. My husband on the other hand, didn't grow up so close, and he's never done the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island.  We both have relatives who came over from Italy/Greece via Ellis Island, so I think visiting one or both places would be cool.  I've also never visited either place as an adult. We'll be driving to Bayonne and parking our car at the port.  Has anyone ever disembarked and then done the Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island?  I haven't been there since I was about 13.  Do you still park your car somewhere in NJ, hop on a ferry, and do it that way? I imagine the ferry and its parking are pretty close to Bayonne.  We might just want to get back to our kids after 5 days away, but we also might want to extend things a bit, so it might be a game time decision - which I'm not sure would work out if we need to make reservations to get to either island. 

I'm not sure of the particulars.  You can park in NJ for the ferry ride over, but and here's the big but..... if you want Crown access then you have to reserve months in advance.  They are currently taking reservations out of NJ for October 2019.  Now you can buy the tickets for the bottom part of the Statue and Ellis Island for July, just not the Crown.

Below is the link.  Good luck!

https://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/Statue-Of-Liberty-Tours/

• 3 weeks later...

We did this in 2016 when we disembarked Anthem.  We just plugged it into our GPS and it took us to the parking lot where you catch the ferry.  Once we were at Ellis Island, it was a little bit of a wait to get through all of the security check points.  We finally got inside and climbed up to the base of her pedestal.  Then back down, hit the souvenir store and back in line to wait for the ferry back.  You just have to have patience because it seems like there is more waiting than anything.  We went because my little guy was obsess with the Statue of Liberty so he was on cloud nine.  Once the ferry took us back to the dock/parking lot, it was easy to jump right back on the highway.

My only negative was the wait for one of the ferrys to come back and get us.  They are constantly going back and forth, but it can take some time if you just happened to have missed the one before.