best ship for 30-49 year-old couples WITHOUT children

As some on here know, The Queen and I both work for Walt Disney World. We have a very high opinion of the company. We actually had our honeymoon at Disney, years before we knew we would be moving to Orlando. That said, we have no interest in taking a Disney cruise because we do not have kids. We see Disney as a family/kids cruise line that also has adult areas. Whereas, we see Royal as an adult cruise line that also had kids areas. Plus, we see the Disney brand 5 days a week. We do not just "see" it, we live it; and we really do not want to see it when we are on vacation.

I know that Royal has been driving toward more family friendly cruise ship designs, which makes sense. They should. It is a smart business strategy. I also know that the older ships tend to get more of a senior crowd. So where is the ship that is just right for young-ish couples? Which one is the "Goldilocks" ship? Not too young. Not too old.

My first inclination would be to say that the Oasis and Quantum class ships would be, but the ever-expanding offerings for kids makes me think otherwise.

All I can say is, THANK YOU ROYAL FOR THE SOLARIUM!!!!

I agree that the Oasis and Quantum classes are probably your best bets, but any ship that has a longer itinerary is also likely to draw fewer children.  In addition, some itineraries just don't attract children, especially when during the traditional school year.  For example, we did a New England/Canada cruise just prior to Memorial Day and my son was one of 32 children under the age of 18 onboard.  And on our Norwegian Fjords/Iceland cruise, which was 12 days long, they combined the age groups in Adventure Ocean as they didn't have enough children onboard to separate the groups.

Thus, avoid holidays and summer and look for longer itineraries.  Also, I would assume the ships without a DreamWorks experience might attract fewer children.

Obviously there will be families and children on all of the ships, thankfully! I love watching people of all ages enjoyingand engaging in life. As Doc mentioned, avoid summer and holidays but I would limit myself to oasis class or quantum class ships. The southern itineraries on Adventure are great and outside of school breaks, I think the extra effort and cost of flying to San juan deters families and I love the southern and eastern islands. Lots of options and you can't go wrong on Oasis.

I agree that the Oasis and Quantum classes are probably your best bets, but any ship that has a longer itinerary is also likely to draw fewer children.  In addition, some itineraries just don't attract children, especially when during the traditional school year.  For example, we did a New England/Canada cruise just prior to Memorial Day and my son was one of 32 children under the age of 18 onboard.  And on our Norwegian Fjords/Iceland cruise, which was 12 days long, they combined the age groups in Adventure Ocean as they didn't have enough children onboard to separate the groups.

Thus, avoid holidays and summer and look for longer itineraries.  Also, I would assume the ships without a DreamWorks experience might attract fewer children.

I agree with taking a longer cruise, as regards who will be your on board companions. I have several reasons for that, but that's a different story, for a different day.

Great point about the itinerary.

We're all about not going in season. Besides, when it's cruise season, it's also Disney season. Can't afford to leave then.

1 of 32!?!? Didn't have enough children on board!?!?! That's my idea of family friendly!!!

We avoid any DreamWorks activities like the plague! ;)

Agree with others as well - Anthem was great and still has fun things to do for adults

so if you can do this non=summer times or holidays I think you would love it and then

yes the Allure or Oasis just have more to do on them as well for adults I think

Southern Caribbean is a great suggestion or longer than 7 nights

Transatlantics or Pacific Coastal transitional cruises that leave in May or Sept

each year are unique and offer some cool things

Sept 23 2016 they have a sailing on the Explorer that over nights in San Fran

how cool is that!

Transatlantics or Pacific Coastal transitional cruises that leave in May or Sept

how cool is that!

We'll be on the Navigator in April 2017 for a 9-Night Southern Caribbean (ABC itinerary). So that will be a great test. I'd consider that Explorer trip, but we're already heading to the UK at that time. :( :D

Agree with others as well - Anthem was great and still has fun things to do for adults

so if you can do this non=summer times or holidays I think you would love it and then

yes the Allure or Oasis just have more to do on them as well for adults I think

how cool is that!

The CA coastals are awesome. I did one on Celebrity with an overnight in San Francisco and three other CA ports and it is among the top itineraries I've done and I live in the state.