First ever cruise coming up! Newbie questions

BCruise

Glad I found this message board. Gonna read as much as I can before our cruise. I do have some questions. 

We're going on the Independence of the Seas

1) I know there's the main dining room and the buffet and those are included in the price. What about the other restaurants like the Japanese, Chinese , Cafe Promenade, cupcakes, and pizza? Is that included? For those places are reservations not needed? Just show up?

2) I see the cruise package I booked, through a conference, that gratuities of $72 was charged. So do I still need to tip onboard in the dining room and when getting drinks?

3) I'm a big water drinker. Will getting bottled water, or filling up a bottle be easy?

Thank you for your time!

The only additional tipping you should anticipate would be porters that help with your luggage at the port and for room service if you choose to use it.

Cafe Promenade, the Windjammer (buffet), main dining room, and Sorrentos pizza, along with room service except for early AM hours, is also included. Sushi is extra unless your on a ship with a Jade section of the Windjammer. Places like Izumi, the Cupcake Cupboard, etc. are additional.

Water by the bottle will cost, but you should be able to bring on a reasonable amount if you have factory sealed bottles. You can refill at the beverage station, but it's recommend that you fill your bottle from the cups provided.

To expand on the tipping ...

It sounds like your gratuities are prepaid for your waiters and cabin attendant (that's your $72), you may tip them additionally if you wish but it is not required.

For any drinks/food that you buy on board you will automatically be charged a gratuity of 18%, there will also be a line on the receipt marked tip where you can fill in additional tips if you wish, again the 18% is automatic and cannot be changed, you may tip additional amounts if you wish. Some people indicate tipping an extra $1 gives them better repeat service, others that it has no impact, your choice as to whether you want to / need to.

As Doc indicated there is a mix of pay and free venues for food/snacks.

The Café Promenade and Sorrentos are free and are really more walk by and pick something up than sit down and eat a meal restaurants. They do not have table service and have a limited number of small tables.

The Windjammer buffet is also free but is only open for specific hours of the day (think 6-10 for breakfast, 11-3 for lunch, 6-11 for dinner ... times vary by ship/day but something along those lines). The Windjammer is self-serve but has a lot more tables as it is intended for sit down meals.

Main Dining Room is open for breakfast and sometimes lunch, in both cases it is free and it is open for a block of hours come when you want and you will be seated at the next available table. For Dinner you will either have an assigned table and time (Traditional Dining) or if you have My Time Dining then you can choose to show up when you wish or make reservations, your choice. MDR for dinner is free but there can be additional "upcharge" items available, clearly marked on the menu.

I believe Independence has the Jade section of the Windjammer that has a selection of free premade Sushi, but as a non-Sushi person, I wont swear to it.

Cupcake Cupboard is an additional charge and I think you have to make a reservation, on the couple of occasions that I have walked by it seemed to be full and turning away "walk ups".

Pretty sure Indy has a Johnny Rockets, additional minor fee for a better burger experience than the free ones at the Windjammer.

Chops Grille is a staple, decent steakhouse for an additional per person fee, I used to highly recommend it but the price has gone up, the experience has come down and I no longer recommend it unless you are in the mood for something more.

Cant recall whether Indy has Portofinos or the other Italian restaurant but it should have one or the other, never tried either one so I cant comment from personal experience but again an upcharge per person to eat there.

For Chops and whichever Italian restaurant reservations are available and are probably a good idea if you really want to visit one or the other.

My understanding is that the Cupcake Cupboard is simply a walk in cupcake place for a fee. I wonder if you happened to go by when they were having one of their for fee cupcake decorating classes? That's the only reason I could imagine it being full.

You have two options.  They do have the option to self-serve, but they also have cups of ice and water already filled for the taking at the beverage station in the Windjammer.  You can also go to any bar onboard and ask for a glass of ice water and they'll happily provide it for you.  If you want bottled water, there will be a charge, or you can bring it on yourself.  Just know that it's technically against the rules to bring it onboard, but I've never been stopped when bringing onboard a reasonable amount.

So to expand on the original question, I too am a big water drinker. So they do provide cups for you to fill for water? In other words, is it self serve?

TIA

As Kris mentioned, there are plenty of spots to get water.  There's self serve stations in the Windjammer and some other restaurants, while other spots will serve a glass of water to you without an issue.

• 5 months later...